Quote Originally Posted by downtownguy View Post
Not to be picky, but did he say it would be in Detroit proper? While I hope it is, "Motor City" might be a general reference to Metro Detroit, say Royal Oak perhaps.

That said, if they do indeed mean within the city limits, perhaps they're looking at the hockey arena site. A place this size will need to locate where they can do volume, and sports bar or not, having 3 sports venues nearby would be good for business.
Unless Royal Oak is now called the Motor City, I don't think there's a ton of gray area here. If they were looking at Royal Oak, Troy, Birmingham, etc., I would imagine he would have said "Metro Detroit" or "Detroit area" or something similar. The article did not seem to make any indication it would be outside the city either. To do that kind of volume, I don't see the hockey arena as all that viable for a couple reasons. One, it will be a while before the hockey arena exists. Two, there's very little else in that area right now. I don't see Comerica, Ford Field and the theaters spilling in the direction much with 75 as a barrier. I think it would likely to be somewhere relatively close to Greektown and the entertainment district [[the Serman's site, for example), or in Corktown.