Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Lowell View Post
    Agree. Suh has let his team down a critical time. Frankly I hope they get rid of him. He is great but not a team player. They can buy a lot of talent for what they would pay for his unruly foolishness.
    Agree completely. Ironic how when he does open up and talk he talks about his ambitions as a businessman post football career. If he was the man that brought this city a Super Bowl his ability to put his name on it and make boat loads of cash would have been limitless and lucrative. At the end of his career here in the D he just kinda proves once again he's not thinking ahead ever.

Given his past history and the Raiola stomp, Suh made a massive mental boner. He is a great player but his self-centered attitude is not amenable to a team game such as football.

So, IMO, he has made the issue of how to keep him a Lion and not break the salary cap bank moot - he is gone.

That said, the best off season strategy will be to use the cap space freed, less Suh's dead money, to shore up an offensive line that is "offensive".

And draft a defensive tackle to fill the void. Maybe switch to a 3-4 defense.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    Given his past history and the Raiola stomp, Suh made a massive mental boner. He is a great player but his self-centered attitude is not amenable to a team game such as football.

So, IMO, he has made the issue of how to keep him a Lion and not break the salary cap bank moot - he is gone.

That said, the best off season strategy will be to use the cap space freed, less Suh's dead money, to shore up an offensive line that is "offensive".

And draft a defensive tackle to fill the void. Maybe switch to a 3-4 defense.
    He is a free agent after Super Bowl. If there is a upside to losing him and getting nothing for him it is that there is no dead money.

On a positive note, Swanson held up well at center.

I would like to see a mauler brought in at either tackle or guard during free agency or the draft.

Given our late pick, guard is the more likely pick, unless there is a TE

Well....thanks to N[[dumb)ukong Suh, Dallas doesn't have much to fear now, Suh is a game changer and especially if Fairley isn't back Sunday. Only hope is they still can contain Murray, Witten, and Bryant, Romo has a bad game, and Stafford has the game of his life. This Dallas team reminds me of the "Triplets" Aikman, Smith and Irvin.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; December-30-14 at 03:16 PM.

Breaking News, Suh's suspension has been overturned by the NFL. He has to pay a $70,000 fine, however he gets to play Sunday at Dallas.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Breaking News, Suh's suspension has been overturned by the NFL. He has to pay a $70,000 fine, however he gets to play Sunday at Dallas.
    I hope he chases Romo all over the turf and helps us win the game with defense.

All this Yo Yo news has me believing that tomorrow we will be informed that Dominic Raiola, during practice, stomped on Suh's leg causing it to be broken in three places.

Lion motivational film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z2sYN3hGK9E

And Prater makes one on the other end of Dallas' botched kick for a 20-7 lead. Let's grind this one out of Dallas. Is it me or does Reggie Bush seem to have regained some of his step? Maybe a little bit or am I eternally hopeful the lightning comes back?

So sad we lost this one...

"Of all the words of tongue or pen,
    These are the saddest, it might have been."

August-30-14, 10:58 AM #166 Lowell

Big turn around year of 12-4 but then suffer a humiliating first round blowout playoff loss to maintain our Chicago Cubs-style lovable loser humility.
    They may have lost but it was a great try and they were in it to the end. So close, so far away. Good year Lions. "Wait until next year!"

Any chance Stafford stays in Texas & doesn't return....any?

[[0-18 against winning teams on the road).
    Last edited by Smirnoff; January-04-15 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Any chance Stafford stays in Texas & doesn't return....any?

[[0-18 against winning teams on the road).
    Stafford? After six seasons I've seen enough. There's no question he's a Big Hoss but he will never be an elite quarterback in the NFL. He simply doesn't possess the intangibles [[superior intellect, superior instinct, superior reflexes). He's doomed to be Dan Fouts: all stats and no Super Bowls.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    Stafford? After six seasons I've seen enough.
    That's pretty harsh talk. I remember the season before Stafford came on board, the Lions were 0-12. The man has taken that team to the playoffs. Detroit got a bad call on a crucial play. If that had not of happened, I think Detroit would be celebrating and Stafford a hero.

Also wondering... the official picked up the flag but did not throw a flag the week before with Suh against Green Bay. Was this a way of the officials protesting?
    Last edited by PeachLaser; January-06-15 at 06:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post
    That's pretty harsh talk. I remember the season before Stafford came on board, the Lions were 0-12. The man has taken that team to the playoffs. Detroit got a bad call on a crucial play. If that had not of happened, I think Detroit would be celebrating and Stafford a hero.
    He's better than what we've had, but still not an elite quarterback and that's why we drafted him #1 overall. Andrew Luck has already won 2 playoff games in his career. Stafford is 0-17 on the road against teams with winning records. There's no way to sugarcoat that. If we can keep this defense together, we might not need him to be great, but he has to stop turning the ball over.

Quote Originally Posted by PeachLaser View Post

Also wondering... the official picked up the flag but did not throw a flag the week before with Suh against Green Bay. Was this a way of the officials protesting?
    That flag while being the incorrect call, did not lose the game for the Lions. They had they're chances. The defense allowed Dallas to march down the field for the winning score. Also having a 20-7 lead and only scoring a FG in the 2nd half didn't help. I'm still trying to figure out why Tate and Megatron did not get targeted in the 2nd half, at all.. Throw the ball down field please? They reeled Stafford in a little too much IMO. Joe Lombardi has to improve his play calling if he's to remain OC. And Caldwell, while he did a good job this year, but he needs to show some onions as well. Next thing to look for is if we keep Suh and DC Teryl Austin, whose on everybody's short list for a head coaching gig.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-07-15 at 04:25 PM.

That flag while being the incorrect call, did not lose the game for the Lions. They had they're chances. The defense allowed Dallas to march down the field for the winning score. Also having a 20-7 lead and only scoring a FG in the 2nd half didn't help. I'm still trying to figure out why Tate and Megatron did not get targeted in the 2nd half, at all.. Throw the ball down field please? They reeled Stafford in a little too much IMO. Joe Lombardi has to improve his play calling if he's to remain OC. And Caldwell, while he did a good job this year, but he needs to show some onions as well. Next thing to look for is if we keep Suh and DC Teryl Austin, whose on everybody's short list for a head coaching gig.
    I'd say you're spot on with this assessment of the loss. We played it too close to the vest. Why back off of them when we had them on the ropes? We effectively took the crowd out of it early and should've kept after them with the aggressive play calling. Remember a few weeks back when it was a slightly more hurried offense and the Lions offense responded?

Lombardi really needs to sit down and see who and what he has on this team- and utilize them better. I'm not going to completely pin the blame on him as he's a rookie OC, but he truly does need to use the talent he has on this team better [[reminiscent of how Rich Rod tried to warp the UofM football team to fit his scheme right out of the box). He has to see where the strengths are and where the weaknesses are with every one of his players- and then come up with some innovative ways to use them. At least at that point it's on the players to carry out the tasks assigned to them. I can't fault Lombardi for Stafford being inaccurate nor can we blame him if Calvin let's one slip through his hands or someone fumbling the ball. But we can lay some blame on the brains of this group for being a little more timid than they need to be.

Lions were dominating early, but it was hot and humid down on the field in the enclosed stadium. It looked like the Lions ran out of gas in the 4th quarter.

Time to relocate the team.

They need to get some durable offensive linemen. Dallas's defensive line is mediocre and will be beaten down by Seattle. The Lions, on the other hand let this unit get 3 sacks.

I think this was Suh's last game as a Lion.

And Ford has to demand more than mediocre management.

Sure, Mayhew is better than Millen as a 4/10 is a much higher score than 0.00004/10. However, drafting Ebron and Van Noy when there were offensive linemen on the board has come home to roost.

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    They need to get some durable offensive linemen. Dallas's defensive line is mediocre and will be beaten down by Seattle. The Lions, on the other hand let this unit get 3 sacks.

I think this was Suh's last game as a Lion.

And Ford has to demand more than mediocre management.

Sure, Mayhew is better than Millen as a 4/10 is a much higher score than 0.00004/10. However, drafting Ebron and Van Noy when there were offensive linemen on the board has come home to roost.
    I agree about drafting O-Lineman. That is a weakness, also Odell Beckham Jr was still on the board when they took Ebron. I bet they are kicking themselves in the gazoo for that one.

I agree about drafting O-Lineman. That is a weakness, also Odell Beckham Jr was still on the board when they took Ebron. I bet they are kicking themselves in the gazoo for that one.

Well, Ebron can block

Time for the Kool Aid.

Swanson > Raiola

Lucas = a decent back up at LT

I think the Lions primary need is a stud at guard. The center of the line, on many occasions, did not:

Prevent a push up the center during a pass, thus keeping the QB from stepping into throws.

Create a center drive on run plays that caused any real respect by any defense they faced.

Good teams win the trenches.

Dallas and Detroit are lob sided.

Detroit can win most battles on the defensive side but rarely on offense.

Dallas wins on offense but will be exposed as pitiful on defense.

I post, at NFL draft time, on a different board and wanted the Lions to trade down and go for Zach Martin. Some evaluators thought he was the real deal at OG and could start early. This isn't 20-20 hindsight.

I also liked a WR like Bechham or my choice was probably Cooks.

For me, with a Stafford, building a solid off line is paramount.

Bad DBs get beat. Bad OLs mean the QB gets beat up.

Eric E. might become a very good TE, in time, but I wanted either an OG or WR.

Andrew Luck has had a good year this year. he was VERY so-so last year and less than that the year before. He was also sacked and hurried about half as much as Stafford, whose line never gave him time to check secondary targets. That makes a HUGE difference.

Page 21 of 23 FirstFirst ... 11 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 LastLast