Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Pickford-Bentler View Post
    I think he might be developing mental problems. His play has slid markedly, so he knows the end of his career is at hand. Depression??
    After playing for 14+ years in the NFL trenches as a supposedly undersized center, I'm sure he's had his coconut rattled a few times. I don't know if he's got classic clinical mental disorders other than being somewhat of a prick.

I know in football one has to play with a bit of an edge. I get it, but the smart ones know when the whistle blows and reality sets in. Obviously he hears a different whistle in his head. I respect the work he's done but come pretty close to despising some of his antics. Going after a guy's knees on a kneel down play is about as classless as it gets. Stepping on this guy's ankle is equally as classless. I can almost forgive some of the harder plays where it straddles the edge of hard play but these acts are deliberate attempts to injure and possibly end someone's career. There's NO place in this league for someone who doesn't have that sort of respect. I'd bet he'd be the first one bitching if someone like that took a cheap shot at his livelihood.

Years ago he also flipped the bird at the fans… yeah, those of us that want them to be better. He just doesn't get that either. When we fans want them to do well [[and we all do) and they fail, we tend to boo. The more vocal ones will probably say a few idiotic things to them as well. I'm sure a few of them crossed the line with regards to taste BUT as a professional athlete- and dare I use the term, entertainer- they have to be able to take the bad criticism if their performances suck. It comes with the territory. Don't like it, Dom? Retire already. I don't think anyone can blame you for being part of some pretty sub-standard football in these parts. But at least leave with some measure of personal pride and dignity. Flipping the bird off to us fans is just wrong, wrong, and wrong. The flip side of the coin [[no pun intended) is that no one cares. No one would come cheer for this franchise. None of the fans would show up and help pay the team salary. Alienating fans is not the way to go ever for professional athletes.

I tolerate the guy playing for us because he sports the Lions colors, but that's about it. What he does between the whistles I have to respect. Some of the antics he does afterwards have been pretty pathetic. Obviously a lot of the fans and the NFL brass have agreed and he sits a game and loses a chunk of his salary.

And maybe this is the best thing for the Lions now. Let's see what Swanson can do at center. Maybe that young man steps up and takes Dom's place- not just temporarily, but for good. He's a natural center and I can only wish the best for the young man as Raiola slowly starts to fade into the sunset.

Quote Originally Posted by Thruster315 View Post
    And maybe this is the best thing for the Lions now. Let's see what Swanson can do at center. Maybe that young man steps up and takes Dom's place- not just temporarily, but for good. He's a natural center and I can only wish the best for the young man as Raiola slowly starts to fade into the sunset.
    Raiola's so gone at the end of this season. If he's played his game as a Lion I'm fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Rambler View Post
    Raiola's so gone at the end of this season. If he's played his game as a Lion I'm fine with that.
    I wish I could as sure as you with Dom taking the final stroll down the Ford Field corridor. I can honestly see him coming back on another MUCH cheaper one year deal- and maybe even starting again. His game has slipped admittedly and his behavior sure as hell doesn't ingratiate himself to any fans, but I think it's going to be contingent on how Swanson plays. If Travis Swanson tacks on some more bulk & muscle, gets a grasp of the line [[he should because he's played center nearly his entire life), and plays well- I can see Dom being shown the door a helluva lot easier.

And if he is gone, I'm more than fine with it as well.