Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast

When does the building suppose to open?

I think the website says September of this year. Exciting!!

When did the Broderick, for all practical purposes, close? I am thinking here of its existence as an office building. I know the Flaming Embers and other establishments continued on the ground floor long after.

I think I have read that in 1976 all upper-floor tenants had moved out, leaving only Flaming Embers. I worked downtown starting 1980, and it seems like the building was abandoned then.

After David Broderick's death in 1957, the tower changed hands many times between 1963 and 1976, finally ending up in the hands of the Higgins family, which retains a stake in the ownership to this day. [[Quote from Wikipedia)

It could be the current owner mothballed it shortly after purchase.

The Madison Theatre had closed it's doors in the middle 80's. I wonder what retail store will be in the street storefronts

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The Madison Theatre had closed it's doors in the middle 80's. I wonder what retail store will be in the street storefronts
    In the Madison Building the street storefront contains Angelina's Bistro Restaurant...

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    The three places are tentatively named The Broderick Grill, The Cave, and Broderick Beer Hall. The Grill will serve American food while the Cave will be a cozy French-themed wine bar in the basement floor. The Beer Hall likely will not brew on-site, but will have plenty of German food. Kraemer Design Group is responsible for the design, but has not released renderings to Curbed as of this post. While the rest of the building won't open until September, Higgins says there is a possibility the restaurants will be ready as early as April

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...ck-tower-1.php

Wow. I'd love to go to that if I could!

Anyone else notice raucous protestors outside the Broderick today? Many young, African American men, from what I saw.

Anyways, whats the deal with the long running protest of the Broderick and its lead construction company? There have been guys holding signs about this for some time, but its never been clear to me what they are mad about.

Non Union labor.

I recently heard that a Detroit sports figure has reserved one of the top floor Penthouse suites at the Broderick. Anyone know who this person might be?

You heard right there are 3 penthouses and ALL 3 are gone :-)
    the other two are investments and taken.
    on a side note , an buddy of mine has been in the top of the Weitzer building [[sp) I'm lazy about the spelling lol , and the views are amazing ,he wants to build his home there , but the sob that owns it is CRAZY ! and asking WAY too much, for the amount of work you would ALSO have to put into it .

Not to threadjack but workers have been going in and out of the Wurlitzer every day now for the last few weeks...a hopeful sign

Here are photos from the press tour before the public open house during Opening Day:

http://www.detroitfunk.com/?p=8927
    Last edited by mauser; April-17-12 at 07:11 PM. Reason: hand slipped on the wheel

Mauser... nice images!! It's amazing how puny GCP looks from up there.

Also, that image looking up Woodward thru midtown was very interesting. It gives you a clear indication exactly which side of Woodward was widened in the 1930s. If you look at that image the street is perfectly straight all the way to the [[white) Garfield Building [[where the Woodward widening planners were working from)... so the Garfield was spared a facadectomy unlike so many east of Woodward buildings, and the street veers the left for a while before veering back to the right. That image exaggerates this, but it makes it plain as day exactly how they did that. Mauser, you could write up an entire article in your blog about that one image!

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitdave View Post
    You heard right there are 3 penthouses and ALL 3 are gone :-) the other two are investments and taken.
    How does one invest in a rental unit?

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    If you look at that image the street is perfectly straight all the way to the [[white) Garfield Building [[where the Woodward widening planners were working from)...
    The view from those corner lofts at the Garfield Building looking south are pretty cool, too. I was in one of them for an open house when they were first being rented .Because of the jag Woodward takes at that point, it almost looks at though the street disappears below you.

Thanks Gistok - yeah I did write about the Garfield and that jog in the road on the facebook page for the site. Its really cool to see it articulated like that.

CLICK HERE - its a larger photo on FB and zoomed in tighter on the Garfield bend
    Last edited by mauser; April-17-12 at 08:55 PM. Reason: forgot I was still on the phone

21. Default

This picture was taken from Broderick Tower during opening day open house. It looks down upon the eastern half of Grand Circus Park and the Detroit Tigers Baseball Park.

That's a hell of a view. Wow. If only I can upgrade my starving artist status, I'll move there in a heartbeat.

Incredible view!! Hopefully that parking in the corner will fill in soon. GCP will be a spectacular space.

Quote Originally Posted by wolverine View Post
    Incredible view!! Hopefully that parking in the corner will fill in soon. GCP will be a spectacular space.
    Wolverine... believe it or not... that parking lot corner [[between Madison and E. Adams) has been a parking lot since at least the 1920s. In all the decades worth of post cards of East GCP, none have ever shown a building in that spot... the only empty space [[until recent times) along GCP. Only the Barden Building on the easternmost part of that block had been built up.

How nice to see all the folks out and about!

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast