Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Quote Originally Posted by Vic01 View Post
    The Detroit Police Department will launch a formal investigation into an incident in which it appeared two city officers roughed up WJBK-TV [[Channel 2) news reporter M.L. Elrick when he attempted to question City Council President Pro Tem George Cushingberry Jr., Detroit Police Chief James Craig announced Wednesday.
    A truly shocking video. Even if Mr. Elrich had been asked to step aside, a bona-fide reporter [[and apparently citizen of Detroit) should not need to be manhandled to clear a pathway.

I could understand the officers actions as a last resort if Mr. Elrich was delaying Mr. Cushingberry -- but to preemptively shove a reporter for trying to ask questions of a council member? I cannot imagine.

Mr. Cushingberry could have simply said, I'm sorry, I can't speak to you right now -- I'm already a few minutes late for the meeting.

But what on earth would cause a DPD sergeant to grab a reporter? I do hope Craig gets that answer. Sure -- it was excessive manhandling. But it was manhandling. This wasn't just using your body to block the reporter. This was grabbing with clear intent.

And do I understand this sergeant was a member of this detail? To work council chambers? There must be protocol for reporters.

I'm shocked.
    Last edited by Wesley Mouch; January-29-14 at 02:18 PM.