I'm in Iowa on a consulting job, and I'm surprised by a a number of things. I wonder if other Detroiters who have been here agree with my observations.

First, this place is completely Midwestern in a way that the rest of the Midwest simply isn't. The Great Lakes states are defined by the Lakes, industrial America, and the border with Canada. The southern halves of Missouri, Illinois, and Indiana seem more culturally "Upland South" than Midwestern. The prairie states are on the periphery of our region and share many more characteristics with the West. Yet Iowa is not on the Lakes, it doesn't border the South, and it's not the West. So what is it? The Midwest.

Iowa is defined, of course, by agriculture. I suppose my surprise is because I've been in a lot of other farming states that are far more conservative and religious. I find that even random Iowans whom you chat with in line for the morning Joe are very aware of current events and issues in their state, their region, and the world. Their local rags are full of everything to local agribusiness stuff to how Iowa's agriculture is affecting the world's ocean. After this visit, I don't think I'll ever quibble with them having the first say during presidential primaries again.

They also seem to wear the label of "Midwestern" proudly. [[They're also very proud of having a "Midwestern" president.) When they ask where I'm from and I say "Detroit, Michigan", it's almost like "well, that's all right, then... Midwest."

Which brings me to Detroit. This may be the first place outside of the Rust Belt where I find that every single person I've chatted with is genuinely concerned about Detroit, and especially the auto industry. Several said over lunch that the failure of the autos would affect them directly [[although I don't quite get how). Others insisted that nationalized health care might help not only the auto industry, but as one person pointed out to me, "What's happening to GM is eventually going to happen to other corporations outside the auto industry down the line." There's even an article about it in the weekly magazine -- "When Detroit Was King".

The last line of the article?

"Yes, Detroit, some of us still have faith in you."

You can't judge an entire state from one visit. But what a nice little place!