Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

https://www.google.com/maps/place/De...35b9c4d2?hl=en

FYI, there is a photo sphere from the top floor terrace of this building so you can get an idea of the eventual view from the penthouse apartments!!

Where are you guys seeing that the Executive Plaza on on 6th Street will be torn down? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

Awesome news on the "Hammer and Nail!"

my question is: Will the hammer and nail neon remain? I've seen nothing regarding that particular topic. It would seem counterproductive to remove the buildings namesake.....

Heres a rendering from Roxbury:

http://media.mlive.com/news/detroit_...1774-large.jpg
    Last edited by Dbest; January-21-15 at 10:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    Where are you guys seeing that the Executive Plaza on on 6th Street will be torn down? I haven't seen that reported anywhere.

Awesome news on the "Hammer and Nail!"
    sorry i missed this one. can you provide the source on the executive plaza demo

Quote Originally Posted by hybridy View Post
    sorry i missed this one. can you provide the source on the executive plaza demo
    I don't think it's happening, personally. I haven't seen it anywhere other than this thread.

Outstanding news-- a win for preservation [[saving resources and keeping midcentury architecture around, even if its nobody's favorite), density [[74+ new residents on Woodward rather than a few hundred parked cars), and the feel of Woodward [[it's a moderately tall building). I was among those calling for this and I thank the developers who had the wherewithall and vision to actually make something good happen. These few blocks on Woodward are going to be some of the most balanced, blended-use, generally lively blocks in the City.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    my question is: Will the hammer and nail neon remain?
    Nope.

http://www.freep.com/story/money/bus...bury/22115891/

Quote Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post

Thanks, I kind of figured this was going to be the case.. It should be interesting to see where it ends up.

Quote Originally Posted by Khorasaurus View Post
    I don't think it's happening, personally. I haven't seen it anywhere other than this thread.
    The last news on it was that it was put up for auction over the summer and failed to reach a sale. The opening bid was $4.5 million.

The last time it was expected to face demolition was when the FBI was looking to build a campus in the same location several years ago. Though the FBI looked at other properties and the plan eventually fell through.

Quote Originally Posted by Dbest View Post
    From the article:

"The architectural restoration will feature an all-new glass facade as well as restoration of the exterior masonry and the grounds surrounding the building."

Exciting stuff...
    I thought the "all-new" glass facade would result in a different look to the building, but not so according to the rendering in the updated Curbed article.

http://detroit.curbed.com/archives/2...-rendering.php

I know not everyone likes what one might view as the "dated" look of the building, but in a few years I wouldn't be surprised if people marvel at the fact that such a "classic" building was almost torn down.

Yep, in 20 years people will be happy to have what - by then - will be a unique building within the downtown landscape. When Art Deco was a dime a dozen people wanted to cover up the interior of the Guardian Building. Eventually, we'll appreciate having some "space age" buildings around.

... should be a nice place to stay once it's all done.

Glad to see it saved if not just for its height, tearing them down makes less and less sense in this market.

Did this project fall through? I have seen no construction here or at the neighboring Wayne State Physician Group building site. Any update on either?

Looks pretty bad so far... about a month ago in front of the hammer nail building i was walking by and i saw a guy on his phone walking in front of it taking pictures and said something along the lines of "yea i'll send you the pictures right now and we'll try to hammer out a deal"

so sounds like the original planner fell through and they're looking for someone new to come buy the property and finish it up.. who knows.
    Last edited by SpartanDawg; October-01-15 at 07:20 PM.

I stayed in that area for a few months last fall and was always walking up and down Woodward, as well as, John R. At the same time, I also had innumerable appointments at DMC; the shuttles are a lifesaver. Last August that location was all abuzz, a fair amount of heavy equipment included. Then one day in November - guesstimate - all apparent construction stopped. It’s has been a couple of months since I’ve been in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by SDCC View Post
    I stayed in that area for a few months last fall and was always walking up and down Woodward, as well as, John R. At the same time, I also had innumerable appointments at DMC; the shuttles are a lifesaver. Last August that location was all abuzz, a fair amount of heavy equipment included. Then one day in November - guesstimate - all apparent construction stopped. It’s has been a couple of months since I’ve been in that area.

yea it's been an empty construction site for about 11 months now. they stopped for the winter and never started up again. all construction equipment has been moved off site. half the foundation has been poured for the new WSU PG building and now there's pretty impressive weeds growing there now.

it's the definition of abandoned. hope someone salvages it soon. such a prime location going to waste right now

It would SUCK if a prime, critical stretch of Woodward with so much potential suffers from the sort of market failure that arises with litigation, regulatory squabbling, or just bad business practices. It has to be one of those things, and its a shame. The H/N building itself has so much potential, I hate seeing this.

Finally, some news....

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/article...-1-million-the

LANSING — A developer won state financing in its bid to turn a former medical office tower in Detroit’s Midtown neighborhood into a $21 million mixed-use complex with apartments and retail.
    The Michigan Strategic Fund, an arm of the Michigan Economic Development Corp., today approved a $3.5 million equity investment for Detroit developer The Roxbury Group to redevelop the tower at 3800 Woodward Ave. into The Plaza. Roxbury Group is backing the project through its ownership entity, The Plaza Midtown LLC.

The $21.1 million project is expected to include 72 apartments — 51 one-bedroom units, 19 two-bedroom units and two three-bedroom units — and 2,000 square feet of ground-floor retail space, the MEDC said.

The developer also will update the building’s mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems while restoring the façade in keeping with its original mid-century modern architectural look. The MEDC said the building, built in 1965 and vacant since 2013, is considered functionally obsolete.

MEDC said The Plaza project, along with a $68 million renovation of Wayne State University Physician Group’s clinical space next door, “represents the redeployment of nearly five acres in the heart of Midtown that as recently as last year sat entirely vacant, with a total investment across the two sites of over $100 million.”

The Plaza also will help link Woodward Avenue between Mack Avenue and the new Detroit Red Wings arena district development roughly bounded by Charlotte Street to Grand Circus Park, add residential units in a high-demand area along the new M-1 streetcar line and increase walkability through the corridor, the state said.

The MSF also approved a change to a state brownfield tax credit for the project previously approved in December 2010 — worth $927,000 — to renovate the existing tower, rather than demolish it and rebuild. A construction timeline was not immediately available.

Roxbury Group also has $12.2 million in financing from Arlington, Va.-based Capital Impact Partners, which has a Detroit office, plus an estimated $3.2 million in equity from an unnamed historic tax credit investor, the MEDC said. The property owner will contribute another $1.7 million.

The city of Detroit is contributing a 12-year tax credit worth $4.2 million under the state’s Obsolete Property Rehabilitation Act, the state said.

Roxbury Group’s previous projects include:

• the $94.5 million David Whitney Building into 108 apartments
    • the 136-room Aloft Detroit hotel and Grand Cirque Brasserie restaurant
    • the $12.3 million renovation of The Auburn apartments, with 58 units and retail space
    • redevelopment of the Globe Trading Co. building into a $12.8 million outdoor activity center for the Michigan Department of Natural Resources.

The company received $4.8 million in Michigan Strategic Fund equity financing for The Griswold, which will have residential units spanning five stories atop the Westin Book Cadillac hotel parking deck, according to the state. The MEDC said that project should close on its financing in the next month and start construction by early December.

Glad to hear that this project is apparently not stalled after all. And that the 50 year old building managed to hang on by a thread and not be torn down. As so often happens with old buildings that fall out of favor but avoid the wrecking ball, I think in a few years people will say "can you believe they almost tore that down?"

Keeping a building of that height in that location is really a win; while other things are going up none are of that height.

Detroit still on the move, Things are moving quickly in the city

VERY major news, confirming that the project, and this building, are not dead.

I generally hate midcentury architecture but, if these apartments are done right, I'd grab one based on location and that magical southern exposure and view that will exist above the 4/5th floor.

http://www.detroitnews.com/story/bus...town/74686464/

Wow! That is a major win for Midtown. Thought this thing was dead. Development just keeps moving along.

Not to rain on the parade but there was this line at the end:

"The project should secure all its financing by the end of the year, according to information provided by the state."

^^ that line is referring to the future Fountain Hotel by Cobo. The Plaza should begin construction in December.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast