this post is a cross post from the Detroit Reddit page from user /u/maxxit. his post wasn't getting much love so I brought it here for a second opinion. the post is as follows:
I'm considering rehabbing a multi unit building in SW Mexicantown. The building has a few 3 bedroom townhouse units that would need complete rehab to the tune of 25k each. Currently the place is completely scrapped. It's located in the vicinity of West Vernor and Livernois. What can you tell me about this area? Would there be any demand for newly rehabbed 3 bedrooms units? [[Or might they sit empty waiting for renters?) What would you expect to pay in rent around there?

I'm not a Detroit native, but like the idea of being a small part of Detroit's inevitable comeback... But on the more realistic side of things....
Will the place likely get scrapped again before it gets rented? Do ya think the tools would get stolen out from under us?
Is there much gang activity there? Are a couple of friendly white guys trying to fix up some blight likely to have much trouble?
http://www.reddit.com/r/Detroit/comm...ab_project_in/