Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cushingberry flashed his clowncil card and the supervisor made a judgement call. Probably not his greatest decision, but in light of all that has happened in Detroit, ie., friends and family pay to play, corruption, raping and pillaging of Detroit's coffers, I'm sure he was trying to avoid just what is happening now. I'm afraid the supervisor will get into trouble and called on the carpet. If that happens, it would be terrible shame. If he is punished, then it would show that Cushingberry should be charged with every count.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    Cushingberry flashed his clowncil card and the supervisor made a judgement call. Probably not his greatest decision, but in light of all that has happened in Detroit, ie., friends and family pay to play, corruption, raping and pillaging of Detroit's coffers, I'm sure he was trying to avoid just what is happening now. I'm afraid the supervisor will get into trouble and called on the carpet. If that happens, it would be terrible shame. If he is punished, then it would show that Cushingberry should be charged with every count.
    The supervisor damn sure better be called on the carpet.

Stuff like *THIS* is exactly why Orr kept control of the police and why he should have. The supervisor was worried about politics instead of doing his job, and he should have felt safe from retribution with Orr/Craig in charge.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    The supervisor damn sure better be called on the carpet.

Stuff like *THIS* is exactly why Orr kept control of the police and why he should have. The supervisor was worried about politics instead of doing his job, and he should have felt safe from retribution with Orr/Craig in charge.
    I have to respectfully disagree with you Eber. It's stuff like 'THIS" that keeps the police handcuffed instead of handcuffing the criminals and felons out there. The perfect example of this is the Beatty incident. Cops fear retribution from the powers that be in Detroit and until that changes, their hands are tied. The only reason a supervisor was called to the scene is because Cushingberry was giving the officers a hard time and BECAUSE he is a new council member who made it perfectly clear just who he was. Now, he's turning it into a race issue which is totally untrue. If the supervisor is called on the carpet, then so should Cushingberry be charged with almost hitting an officer, eluding, open container, and a host of other charges. He needs to be gone.

I don't care if he was at a strip club, but all the other stuff and his behavior is an issue.

I'm also VERY dissapointed with the use of the race card. Yeah, this Detroit cop has never seen a black person before so he nabbed the first one he saw.

This is the exact opposite of what Detroit needs.

Orr and Duggan can't do anything here other than harsh words.

Quote Originally Posted by cla1945 View Post
    I have to respectfully disagree with you Eber. It's stuff like 'THIS" that keeps the police handcuffed instead of handcuffing the criminals and felons out there. The perfect example of this is the Beatty incident. Cops fear retribution from the powers that be in Detroit and until that changes, their hands are tied. The only reason a supervisor was called to the scene is because Cushingberry was giving the officers a hard time and BECAUSE he is a new council member who made it perfectly clear just who he was. Now, he's turning it into a race issue which is totally untrue. If the supervisor is called on the carpet, then so should Cushingberry be charged with almost hitting an officer, eluding, open container, and a host of other charges. He needs to be gone.
    I think you missed my point. The officers answer to Orr and Craig, not the elected city officials. Because the elected officials are neutered, and particularly the council, an elected city official going all Christine Beatty should have no effect on the supervisor fulfilling his duty to uphold the law.

Let's say he WAS @ a strip club, [[not that there's anything wrong with it), and maybe had a drink to steady his nerves while driving in the ice and snow, and maybe he had a hit or two of his card carying passengers doobie. Wouldn't you try to make with the nice-nice as far as the police were concerned? I know the few times I was, uh, "found" in an awkward situation, I did my best to diffuse it, not escalate it.

I think you missed my point. The officers answer to Orr and Craig, not the elected city officials. Because the elected officials are neutered, and particularly the council, an elected city official going all Christine Beatty should have no effect on the supervisor fulfilling his duty to uphold the law.
    Lets see what the outcome of this will be. I would be willing to wager that the supervisor will be demoted and sent to the men's room at the old DPD 1300 Beaubien, and Cushingberry will continue to be the arrogant, beligerent, bully he is and has been, with absolutely no consequences.
    Duggan should put his big boy pants on and make a stink about this one, just to let these hostile elected officials know that this type of behavior will not be tolerated. Orr needs to get rid of Cushingberry if he is found guilty. Someone needs to be held accountable, finally, for doing the wrong thing...if the supervisor is found negligent in his duty by giving him a pass, I believe he should be punished in some meanial way, not lose his position or job. Cushingberry needs to be treated like any other driver in Detroit or anywhere who acts like he did.

In my opinion, Cushingberry should be in cuffs and facing charges *AND* the supervisor should be disciplined. It's not a "one or the other" thing. Maybe that helps make it clearer.

In my opinion, Cushingberry should be in cuffs and facing charges *AND* the supervisor should be disciplined. It's not a "one or the other" thing. Maybe that helps make it clearer.
    Agree with this.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Let's say he WAS @ a strip club, [[not that there's anything wrong with it), and maybe had a drink to steady his nerves while driving in the ice and snow, and maybe he had a hit or two of his card carying passengers doobie. Wouldn't you try to make with the nice-nice as far as the police were concerned? I know the few times I was, uh, "found" in an awkward situation, I did my best to diffuse it, not escalate it.
    That's how rational people would think and act. Irrational people instead try intimidation and entitlement as their approach.

This may be a naive question, but are people in the city of Detroit routinely stopped for "driving while black" as they are in many other areas? Since the city has a 80+% black population it seems like that would be unlikely or the cops would be stopping everyone they see.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    This may be a naive question, but are people in the city of Detroit routinely stopped for "driving while black" as they are in many other areas? Since the city has a 80+% black population it seems like that would be unlikely or the cops would be stopping everyone they see.
    ..its only DWB when the cop is white and the driver is a politician.

Who elected this fool and who made hom pro tem?

Quote Originally Posted by preserve View Post
    Who elected this fool and who made hom pro tem?
    GOOD point!

It gets curiouser and curiouser: He claims racial profiling by European American officers. Chief of police says he met with the officers, and one is African American, the other Mideastern. Someone is not telling the truth. My money is on the politician. Bottom line, this is just sad, and not at all surprising.

I like cops to give people the benefit of the doubt.

I like voters to elect competent leaders.

The cops were simply following the will of the voters who democratically elected Cushingberry.

I hope Cushingberry leaves office -- by vote of the people, not by landing in jail.

More tidbits:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ted-arrest-him

"Craig said the officers followed proper protocol by alerting their supervisor that they’d just stopped a public official."

Can someone explain why this protocol is in place other than to give officials a pass? This attitude of "Laws for thee but not for me" is growing beyond tiresome.

Quote Originally Posted by JBMcB View Post
    More tidbits:

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...ted-arrest-him

"Craig said the officers followed proper protocol by alerting their supervisor that they’d just stopped a public official."

Can someone explain why this protocol is in place other than to give officials a pass? This attitude of "Laws for thee but not for me" is growing beyond tiresome.
    Maybe to prevent personal vendetta fulfillment by officers? Seems reasonable to me to have a review.

Plus, if the public official really is guilty, don't you want to make sure the evidence and the scene is bulletproof so the public official can't deny it?

If there's a problem here, and I don't know that there is, it is misjudgment. It isn't bad 'protocol'.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Maybe to prevent personal vendetta fulfillment by officers? Seems reasonable to me to have a review.

Plus, if the public official really is guilty, don't you want to make sure the evidence and the scene is bulletproof so the public official can't deny it?

If there's a problem here, and I don't know that there is, it is misjudgment. It isn't bad 'protocol'.
    Perhaps the only time I will say this, but I agree with Wesley Mouch here.

Has the mayor issued a comment? Something tells me he will stay away from this one

It sounds like he profiled the cops that stopped him and blamed it on their race. Wonder where he drunk the rum?
    Last edited by coracle; January-10-14 at 04:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Why does a review need to be done on-site? Can't it be done in front of a judge, just like with everyone else? What if the supervisor has a vendetta against the public official as well? Why do public officials get this protection against personal vendettas when private citizens do not? It's possible for an officer to have a vendetta against another citizen, isn't it?

As opposed to standard operating procedure, which is to do a lousy job of collecting evidence and have a shaky case? That doesn't make sense, either.

Again, assuming the ideal condition would be equal protection under the law, why do public officials require special attention from the police?

GUSHI Guest

black cop- middle eastern cop, no dash cam video, same old "D"

follows/stops a guy for not signaling?

seriously? in detroit?
    isnt it illegal for cops to wait outside bars/clubs and follow the drivers?

not defending anyone here. but i am curious how many people here have been pulled over for not signaling.

in my opinion craig and orr will keep quiet
    quiet investigation of the ticketing officer [[not the superv) will result in nothing.
    cushingberry might pay or might get it vanished. depends on the backroom deal.

the news media will go nuts for the next 2 months about this baloney instead of focusing on orr bankrupting the city and selling off everything to pay banks. while craig lies out of his ass about solving 70% of murders this year. craig needs to completely rehaul the crime labs, which are still backlogged at least 2 years? anyone have news on how the crime lab situation is going?
    Last edited by compn; January-10-14 at 05:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by compn View Post
    follows/stops a guy for not signaling?

seriously? in detroit?
    isnt it illegal for cops to wait outside bars/clubs and follow the drivers?

not defending anyone here. but i am curious how many people here have been pulled over for not signaling.

in my opinion craig and orr will keep quiet
    quiet investigation of the ticketing officer [[not the superv) will result in nothing.
    cushingberry might pay or might get it vanished. depends on the backroom deal.

the news media will go nuts for the next 2 months about this baloney instead of focusing on orr bankrupting the city and selling off everything to pay banks. while craig lies out of his ass about solving 70% of murders this year. craig needs to completely rehaul the crime labs, which are still backlogged at least 2 years? anyone have news on how the crime lab situation is going?
    Naw, man...you missed the whole story.

Kush cut the cop off leaving the lot of the bar, the ticket was for whatever bullshit the supervisor could convince the officers doing their job to write, which would be easily beatable.

It was designed by the supervisor to let this fine, upstanding gentleman off the hook. [[I'm playing nice, I get the overall impression that Kush is far from that...morelike he should be wearing overly large shoes, a red bulbous fake nose, and flyaway hair...with 30 more like him exiting the same car)

As far as I know, both the Detroit and State laws do not allow for carrying OR consuming cannabis within a vehicle, moving or not. You know his passenger has just lost his Medical Marijuana card, which will put him on a State Police watchlist. He will get the helicopter fly-over, and if he has a hot house and/or his electric bills waver greatly...they've grounds for a no-knock search.

This is going to get very interesting, very soon. Kush should just step down now...he is in a heaping pile of excrement. Good for him.

Sincerely,
    John
    Last edited by Gannon; January-10-14 at 07:27 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast