Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default Check ALL Yer Faucets & Toilets, People!

Wow...we just dodged a bullet.

After spending the evening helping my Livonia Friend unfreeze a pipe going to his guest bathroom, and watching all of the watermain breaks turn driving into a warzone adventure [[that one at Charlevoix & Alter nearly took me out yesterday)...I've tried to be more diligent checking every tap in my honey's 90+ year old home in GPP.

Didn't really consider the guest bath on the 1st floor, since it was remodeled recently...and the fine fellow insulated the wall behind the toilet. He is a great detail guy, and the following is NOT his fault.

I had to use it when I came home from my morning venturing, and kinda freaked when it wouldn't fill after flushing. I'd just taken back the "Pipe-'n'-Hot" pipe heater to the rental joint an hour or so earlier. Damnit! Until yesterday, I had no idea such a device existed, which is part of the point of my story.

Looked at the way the water feed to the tank ran, remembered that the guy graciously closed the ceiling to the basement bathroom beneath with drywall...and knew I had my work cut out for me. Talk about your thermodynamic experiment!

First, I brought into that lower room our portable heater, shaped like an old-school radiator...but electric [[thanks to Cafe, actually, for those who've been here long enough, bought it from her when she left town for Germany, if she ever came back here, hope she'd change her avatar to Busty, heh!). Pulled down the can light to allow the heat to rise into that space...and check for water, as any leak would go there first.

Then, I ran to get my heat-gun...which is merely a hotrod hand-held hair dryer...and aimed it at the small portion of the pipe coming out of the wall. Learned the chrome pretty pieces on this new valve were f'in' PLASTIC, so I had to be careful. Luckily, the wall is tiled with some form of sandstone, so I applied some heat to that, too.

Kept breathing deeply, to calm myself...AND smell for any smoldering or burning. An HOUR later, I finally got some flow.

So, we dodged a bullet. For now. As did said Livonia Friend after our efforts last night. My CompuWare friend in Franklin was not so lucky with the house he and his honey bought last year.

Remember, all bets are OFF this year with this extreme cold...the frost line and assumed safety of any R-valued insulated walls VARY with this long-term low-temperature weather. Even with houses built nearly a hundred years ago...perhaps especially so...you must be diligent. There is no arguing the Laws of Thermodynamics.

Good news, though. If you find a pipe blocked...and can see it downstairs in the basement or crawlspace rafters...there is a device that can help, if you first turn off the water feed to that area [[to reduce pressure, so forming ice has room to expand before bursting the pipe)...then RUSH to the nearest construction rental joint to get their version of the "Pipe-'n'-Hot" pipe heater. This must be another plumber's secret, because I never knew such a thing existed.

It clamps to the pipe, hopefully from either side of the freeze, but at least as close to it as possible, since copper will conduct heat. It applies only 5 volts...but up to 350 amps of current...and literally makes the pipe 'sing' at 60Hz! Takes about fifteen minutes, on average, to melt a blockage...so in that time you need to reopen that valve, so you'll know when it is freed. You'll know.

THEN, ya gotta check quickly for leaks, since the pipe might be cracked...if so, just shut the valve again, and call your favorite plumber.

I wish to endorse the amazing gentlemen at Lewis Equipment Company on 9 Mile just west of Gratiot. They have a cool shop there, obviously well-run. Didn't notice until I just looked at their business card that they also have a Detroit location...also on Gratiot, up at 13501. I have no idea about that one.

Cheers, folks, hope this helps someone.
    Last edited by Gannon; January-08-14 at 05:09 PM.