Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

Default 15th Anniversary of "The Last Great Blizzard of the 20th Century"

On or near this date exactly 15 years ago in 1999, only weeks after an unusually late first day of snow, a massive snowstorm arrived and shut Metro Detroit down for a week. Even though this storm didn't top the record books, later storms made January 1999 one of the snowiest Januaries ever in the Motor City, with a total of 27.3 inches accumulating that month.

The only memory I have left of this storm: I was still living in my first Wyandotte home and it was the middle of my senior year. I remember how long it took before everything got back to normal again with me being stuck at home in the meantime and how it took around an hour to remove all that snow from our vehicle, as well as how the storm unexpectedly extended our Christmas vacation.

Does anyone else have memories of this snowstorm?
    Last edited by mtburb; January-03-14 at 10:53 AM.