Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
You have ton of choice. 1) don't live so far from your job in the suburbs. 2) move to a city with transit and ditch the car 3) move to a place where it never snows. 4) work from home/take a vacation day during a once a generation weather event
1) Lots of people are choosing to live nearer work and in actual neighborhoods where they can shop on foot without driving anywhere. Of course, absent from this is any actual public policy that would aid it, because our local public policy is stuck on default from 1980: "Just drive already."
2) Lots of people are choosing to leave metro Detroit, especially young people, since they'd rather just live in a place that offers transit than struggle against carheads for 20 years. But I can't believe this is the sort of public policy [[or goal) that you want to pursue. But metro Detroit couldn't chase away young people any faster if it wanted to, so it may as well be our goal and policy.
3) The only places where it never snows would seem to be outside the continental United States, so I'm guessing you're not serious about this point at all.
4) Not all of us have the option of working from home.

I mean, you act as if the lack of a rail option is some new thing here. Its been half a century. M-1 going in isn't going to solve your problem either so long as you don't live and work on the only 2.5 miles of rail track that is going to be laid here for the foreseeable future.
Ah, but, you see? This wasn't a serious discussion anyway. As evidenced by this intermezzo, where Bailey flails about, changing the subject [[that the dearth of options isn't new wasn't the point at all; the point was that the dearth of options sucks royally and must be addressed by public policy). Then Bailey sets up straw man No. 1 [[presuming that we believe M-1 is going to solve our problems, which we don't, frankly, believe), and then look at the vigor with which he handily rips apart this straw man: Ooooh. Devastating attack on that scarecrow you just built, Bailey. Devastating.

And you seem to think that a street running, in traffic "rail" line is going to be immune from the effects of this extreme storm.
Reprising a lame argument from earlier in the thread, Bailey makes one last-ditch attempt to throw a snowball at the post, because, since light rail vehicles and heavy rail transit can be affected by weather, there's simply no reason they're any different from taking a 7 MPH death ride on black ice at 6 p.m. and taking more than an hour to get home.

Never mind that a car-only system, which is essentially what we have here in metro Detroit, is more dangerous in bad weather, and that it is completely ill-suited 365 days out of the year for the blind, infirm, elderly, minors and anybody else who cannot afford it. No, we are going to ignore that double standard and instead talk about the rare instances where weather affects light rail that runs in traffic, a small subset of rail-based transit.

Classic Bailey. Just throwing whatever counterargument he can create or come up with to take on his own, made-up versions of what he opposes. Yeah, wow. I guess you really showed ME, Bailey.