Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Today, the Chargers had one of their worst offensive performances of the season with a season-low 259 yards of offense and had just 1 yard net passing in the first half losing to the Broncos for the second time this year.

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    No, but they mean nothing without context. Who do YOU think the Lions should go/have gone after? Lovie? You would probably have issues if the Lions got Belichick
    You're nuts. Belichick is EXACTLY what the Lions need. Get a clue.
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-12-14 at 08:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Smirnoff View Post
    Today, the Chargers had one of their worst offensive performances of the season with a season-low 259 yards of offense and had just 1 yard net passing in the first half losing to the Broncos for the second time this year.
    So sometime next week Ken Whisenhunt will be introduced as your new Lions HC. Everybody happy now??

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    So sometime next week Ken Whisenhunt will be introduced as your new Lions HC. Everybody happy now??
    You may be right, but I hope not. I would still prefer a very successful college coach who has proven he can run the whole show more than a retread head coach or coordinator who thus far has failed to overachieve in their career.

Hey maybe Matt Millen's ideal position was actually head coach...

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    You may be right, but I hope not. I would still prefer a very successful college coach who has proven he can run the whole show
    such as who?

Well boys, some excellent news; San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt has accepted an offer to coach the Tennessee Titans.....

Well boys, some excellent news; San Diego Chargers offensive coordinator Ken Whisenhunt has accepted an offer to coach the Tennessee Titans.....
    I think this is one huge middle finger to Stafford. Maybe the first time in his life he hasn't had his jock sniffed.

Kliff Kingsbury, come on down! You're the next contestant...

such as who?
    Gary Patterson or Kevin Sumlin would be good choices, if they had interest. If he could be bought and brought out of retirement, I would love Dungy. Short of him, I would vote for one of the college guys. Or Scotty Bowman. Only sorta kidding about that.

All the girls all get prettier at closin' time They all begin to look like movie stars All the girls all get prettier at closin' time When the change starts taking place It puts a glow on every face Of the fallen angels of the back street bars If I could rate 'em on a scale from one to ten I'm lookin' for a nine, but eight could work right in A few more drinks and I might slip to a five or even four But when tomorrow mornin' comes And I wake up with a number one I swear I'll never do it anymore

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    Gary Patterson or Kevin Sumlin would be good choices, if they had interest. If he could be bought and brought out of retirement, I would love Dungy. Short of him, I would vote for one of the college guys. Or Scotty Bowman. Only sorta kidding about that.
    Gary Patterson had a decent record when they were in the Mountain West conference, but he's been crap since they started playing with the big boys. Ditto for Sumlin between Houston and TAMU. 5 non-conference wins, 4-4 in conference. What makes you think these two are anywhere NEAR ready to step up to the pros? they have yet to prove them selves in the top tier of the NCAA

so who do YOU want?

Oh and who said Kliff Kingsbury? a guy with a mediocre record at a podunk college?

Oh and who said Kliff Kingsbury? a guy with a mediocre record at a podunk college?
    I have the hots for him. If we don't get a terrific coach, we might as well have someone I can ogle.

Lions apparently hire Jim Caldwell:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10...new-head-coach

Who else was let go from the Schwartz regime? How many other assistant slots have to be filled [[or should be)?

so here it is - he failed with Flacco, but then the Ravens lost a lot of personnel after the Super Bowl, and he succeeded with PM. Manning's 2001 season [[prior to Caldwell) had some similarities to Stafford's performance last season - lots of yards, but lots of interceptions. While I would rather have had Whiz, Caldwell doesn't bother me as runner-up. I think the previous relationship between Mayhew and Whisenhunt may have been/probably was the only reason he was first choice.

[[I bet Whisenhunt would never work for green bay. Cheez Whiz, anyone?)

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Who else was let go from the Schwartz regime? How many other assistant slots have to be filled [[or should be)?
    that remains to be seen

I wish him well. I hope he helps Stafford, but doesn't coddle him if he can't be helped. The whole team needs a kick in the ass. Hope he's got his kickin' foot ready.

I don't like either of them all that much, but I certainly prefer Caldwell to Whisenhunt.

Caldwell has been successful with Manning and Flacco, has been to 2 Super Bowls, and kind of got the short end of the stick in Indy when he was fired after a 2-14 season where they were clearly tanking in order to draft Luck. I'm not sure about his handling of the running game, but what will matter most here is his ability to handle players, instill discipline, and get some players [[Stafford?) to work their way out of bad habits.

Whisenhunt backed into a Super Bowl with a pretty mediocre team, was only really successful inheriting an already-great Kurt Warner, and was fired after a season when several of his players rebelled on him. And there doesn't seem to be much in his record with the perennially underachieving Chargers and Philip Rivers that would give one much confidence.
    Last edited by EastsideAl; January-14-14 at 03:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EastsideAl View Post
    Whisenhunt backed into a Super Bowl with a pretty mediocre team, was only really successful inheriting an already-great Kurt Warner, and was fired after a season when several of his players rebelled on him. And there doesn't seem to be much in his record with the perennially underachieving Chargers and Philip Rivers that would give one much confidence.
    Really? an already-great Warner? Warner was spotty at best for most of his career and put up his career-best stats [[except for 2001) under Whisenhunt. You don't "back in" to Super Bowl. AZ finished first in their division, won three playoff games and lost to the Steelers. The next year they AGAIN won their division won 1 game and lost to the Saints, who beat the Colts [[under Caldwell's direction - talk about inheriting a team) in the Super Bowl. Caldwell was successful with Flacco? Really? Where did the Ravens end up this year? who had his WORST ever QB rating under Caldwell? remember Caldwell ONLY coached Flacco this season.
    Last edited by rb336; January-14-14 at 06:08 PM.

According to Matt Leinart Warner gave Whisenhunt his list of 30 or so plays he wanted in the game plan for each game. Now you can say Leinart had a case of sour grapes because he was a bust, but from all indications Whisenhunt had very little to do with Warner's development and once he left Whisenhunt didn't have any answers.

As far as Caldwell I hopes he hires good O and D coordinators because that will be key for him. Caldwell needs to be the face of the team, instill some discipline, hold his guys accountable and watch his in-game decision making [[that's a sticking point with many). If he does those things he should be fine.

Considering the state of the team now, the imperative to "win or else", and the politics of having a black head coach on the team for the first time [[some still see the Rooney Rule as a PC sop), I wonder will the most-vocal/season-ticket-holding fanbase give Mr. Caldwell half the benefit of the doubt that Schwartz received for five years? We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyles View Post
    Considering the state of the team now, the imperative to "win or else", and the politics of having a black head coach on the team for the first time [[some still see the Rooney Rule as a PC sop), I wonder will the most-vocal/season-ticket-holding fanbase give Mr. Caldwell half the benefit of the doubt that Schwartz received for five years? We'll see.
    Why is the Rooney rule a PC sop? If it's not in place, qualified blacks would never get a fair shake. Just like AA. They would be repeatedly passed over.
    I'm actually surprised the Lions hired a black head coach. Hope it works out for him and he turns the team around, but is he going to get the same length of rope that Schwartz got? Or is he going to get run after a poor season ot two?
    Last edited by Cincinnati_Kid; January-18-14 at 09:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cincinnati_Kid View Post
    Or is he going to get run after a poor season ot two?
    Based on his press conference this week.....next season [[winning division title) is due to die, not 2 or 3 years.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast