Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by AuburnSpeedster View Post
    Am I the only one who thinks that this building doesn't look that bad? I mean... it could be better. But I still think it would be a welcome addition to the neighborhood and I welcome it with open arms. This certainly goes beyond the "it's better than nothing" and gets to the "it's better than many other things" level, in my opinion.
    You are probably right about this.

And I'm sure they will push on regardless of any questions posed here. In my experience, lively discussion about a proposed design and/or site possibilities is normal and worthwhile. This has happened for every building I have ever been involved with over several decades.

In general, it is worth remembering that all buildings [[good, bad and mediocre) tend to remain in place for generations. Asking an architect if an an optional design is possible is fairly common practice. This can often be done in a few weeks. Sometimes an alternative is not possible for a variety of reasons. But other times the question results in a better design, even in the architect's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharnelle View Post
    That the thing, it's not so much a lack of money, but a lack of soul that gets us buildings that are missing the human dimension. Zero personality.

And a lack of guts, I might add. As demonstrated in a place like Ann Arbor where the U has plenty of money but seems afraid to build anything interesting. The message conveyed over the past 20+ yrs with all their blend-in boxes and expensive, boring, generic neo-classicism is, "We have no imagination and we're too timid to think beyond bland, so let's cling to our glorious past. Go Blue!"
    While there may not be a lack of money, there is certainly a lack of will power to spend said money. Building a blend-in boxes is muxlch cheaper than building something like The Guardian or The Fisher Building. Some people don't see the point in pouring a whole lot of money/time/energy into something that may or may not fail [[after all, chances are they're trying to make a profit off said project in the first place).

It is what it is.
    Last edited by 313WX; December-16-13 at 10:15 AM.

It's very positive to see infill like this on Woodward Ave. As Midtown sees more investment, it's important to see developments that will help deliver a critical mass of employment onto Woodward. Employment in the area right now is focused a couple of blocks either east or west. But Woodward is Detroit's signature street and it should deliver more economic impact than what we currently see from dining, entertainment and culture. The M-1 rail project seeks to promote just this result.

Indeed, while the proposed building may be a little under-powered architecturally, so to speak, a more important shortcoming is its modest size. This is a prime Midtown site crying out for a chance to add density to the Woodward corridor. Too bad the owner can't double the building's size.

It's actually growing on me. I like the size; i am all for human-scale developments.

What you are seeing here is infill. This is very good and will be supported by M-1 much like the Healthline supported Euclid's infill.

Improvements in accessibility = economic development.

I think the darker brick color looks better in this freep article, more weathered, more like the Willys building:

http://www.freep.com/article/2013121...S04/312150034/

I can't believe they didn't make it look exactly like the McDonald's next door. How dare they.

I agree wholeheartedly, Swingline. The building is too short and squat for for how wide and long it is. Also, it is out of proportion with how wide Woodward is. This is a silly building to put here, along with that sorry replacement for the hammer building near the medical center.

1. This was designed to spec by Midtown Inc. and a developer 2 years ago and has been shopped to potential anchor tenants since. LTU had nothing to do with the design [[and likely not the final one).

2. Architects are often commercial tenants who do not design the buildings they reside in. Architecture schools can be located in some pretty boring buildings. Check out UM's Art & Architecture Building sometime. As unremarkable as they come.

3. This building is tiny in real life; that ground floor is 3,500 sq ft if I recall. Most of this building site is parking deck. So although it fills in a hole, the neighborhood will by no means live or die by its watered-down Gropius design.

HB

And I always thought the architecture building was the ugliest on LTU's campus

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    I can't believe they didn't make it look exactly like the McDonald's next door. How dare they.
    They need to redesign the McDonald's to meet the streetwall and not be setback, also relocate that huge yellow arch.

Like this: http://www.trendhunter.com/slideshow...-shrek-glasses

Last edited by gthomas; December-18-13 at 11:28 PM.

Curbed has an update today. Coming together nicely

Updated pic i snapped today walking along woodward.. love the accent lights on the street level.. brings it together nicely

really like how it turned out to be honest.. a lot of people hated the design but it blends very nicely along woodward!

Woodward needs work. 2016 hurry up and come and get M-1 rail done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2