Quote Originally Posted by A2Mike View Post
Detroiters are far more sartorially minded than I ever expected. In the early fall of last year, I went into Detroit from Ann Arbor to visit the Art Institute. Leaving there I headed to the library's Woodward entrance where a middle-aged lady complimented me on the sweater I was wearing. I thanked her and headed into the building. Later I was was walking up Cass near the Belcrest when a younger gentleman also made a generous remark about said sweater. I am unaccustomed to my apparel getting much notice, and my blue and white cardigan is quite ordinary for a man my age. I used to live in California and bought it over 20 years ago from a British store in BH, but that not would be obvious to strangers. I guess I was just pleasantly surprised that with all the momentous occurrences in the city over so many years people still can take time to engage in the simple pleasantries we no longer take for granted. Such little things can add up in one's estimation of a place.
I rarely dress up even for church but when I do, I always wear a hat. Men become gentlemen seeing a "lady". It's cute. People pump my gas, open doors, etc. I guess I should take the time to dress up more often, I am kind of a jeans and sweat shirt person.