GOP political consultant Mike Murphy is recommending Detroit for the 2016 Republican National Convention.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/2...text|FRONTPAGE

While in theory I would love either [[or both) party convention in Detroit, I have some fears and doubts. On the plus side, the conventions do bring in lots of hotel, restaurant & bar business, plus business for the airport, car rentals, etc.

My problem with having such a convention in Detroit soon is that the city is not really ready to take on such a large project. Say what you will about Coleman Young, he had control over the city and helped both land the 1980 convention and make sure that it went off without a hitch [[plenty of police, clean streets, no labor issues, etc). I don't know if the city could pull it off now. It is in some ways a bigger challenge than the Super Bowl, because it runs typically for 4 days. Considering that the decision as to where to have the convention will be made in the coming months, I doubt that the city could pull off a confident bid in that time [[typically, the host city and business and community leaders put together a bid addressing all the practical issues that face hosting the event). Maybe for 2020.