Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Funny... folks on Dyes were talking about how the store wouldn't last when it first opened. I started working at the Detroit store in '03 and Dyers saying it wouldn't last until 04 or even 05... now that they are doing something right people are like... oh no that's because there is no competition and the media is lying etc. Some folks are never satisfied or can accept the fact that something in the city is doing reasonably well.

It was refreshing reading about a major store doing well in Detroit instead of closing up shop.

Detroiters have money, they have to quit being so willing to take money to suburbs

2blocksaway Guest

Where am I again?

I thought this was DetroitYes.

Where are all the Big Box haters?

I have always been of the opinion that Detroit needs to kiss the butt of any company who wants to do business in the city.

I have been to this Depot and agree that it is well stocked with items needed for the area. They had everything I needed recently to get a house that had been unoccupied for over a year working again.
    Last edited by 2blocksaway; July-18-09 at 01:25 PM.

Google Earth shows this as occupying four full city blocks. What was there before? Was it all houses?

Quote Originally Posted by Meddle View Post
    Google Earth shows this as occupying four full city blocks. What was there before? Was it all houses?

There use to a hospital on that land

2blocks: in a city the size of Detroit, especially with the amount of open space that it has, there's nothing wrong with big-footprint stores in many places. It's part of a balance that benefits citizens and provides jobs.

That said, where they would be inappropriate, they should be staved off, and human scale neighborhoods should be built whereever possible.

At any rate, this is some interesting news and sends a good message to the regional business community.

Just curious: What is the typical wage of a Home Depot employee?

Something above minimum wage to start, probably in the $8 range. More with experience and senority.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2