Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

I have a few trips with UberX under my belt now, and all I can say is that it's miles ahead [[pun) of a regular cab. I love the certainty of knowing just how far away in distance and time your ride is and not having to exchange cash. If the driver is unsure of exactly where you are [[one pickup was in the RenCen), they call you. No more having to wait outside a restaurant for your cab to show up, not knowing if they were even coming.

One downside is last Sunday morning no cars were available. But getting regular cabs on Sundays is not easy either, especially when its snowing. I called Checker and was on hold for several minutes. Eventually, I tried Uber again, and a car was available. Other downside is that they don't take reservations for a ride ahead of time. But again, the alternative is a regular cab, and having a reservation with them is no guarantee that they'll show up.
    Last edited by downtownguy; December-18-13 at 12:39 PM.

You are correct DTGuy. I had the wrong rates. I did some research last night and confirmed it today. I will not be driving for UberX. By the time I figure my tax liability, their 20%, and mileage driven that's Uber related [[fare miles and deadhead miles) there's no money to be made. Tack carwashes and whatnot onto that and it's definitely not worth it. I figured I could put a little bit of money into my pocket [[and not just into my car's) with the Uber fares, but driving a Buick Lacrosse for UberX is just not worth it. BTW, back in the 90's when I was around cabs a lot, you could lease a cab for 12 hours for $48. After you paid the lease and your gas used, the rest of the money was yours, including tips. [[I could be wrong, but this is how I recall it being) I don't think that using ones own vehicle, if you want it to stay nice and not a piece of shit like most cabs in Detroit, leaves much room for profit with UberX, especially when tips are strongly discouraged. I think, in my case, the tip would have been the deal breaker. If Uber did not discourage tips and just left it at "Tips are at the rider's discretion and are not required" I might have considered it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBBrew View Post
    You are correct DTGuy. I had the wrong rates. I did some research last night and confirmed it today. I will not be driving for UberX. By the time I figure my tax liability, their 20%, and mileage driven that's Uber related [[fare miles and deadhead miles) there's no money to be made. Tack carwashes and whatnot onto that and it's definitely not worth it. I figured I could put a little bit of money into my pocket [[and not just into my car's) with the Uber fares, but driving a Buick Lacrosse for UberX is just not worth it. BTW, back in the 90's when I was around cabs a lot, you could lease a cab for 12 hours for $48. After you paid the lease and your gas used, the rest of the money was yours, including tips. [[I could be wrong, but this is how I recall it being) I don't think that using ones own vehicle, if you want it to stay nice and not a piece of shit like most cabs in Detroit, leaves much room for profit with UberX, especially when tips are strongly discouraged. I think, in my case, the tip would have been the deal breaker. If Uber did not discourage tips and just left it at "Tips are at the rider's discretion and are not required" I might have considered it.
    A Buick Lacrosse is a pretty decent vehicle. Wouldn't it qualify for Uber? The fares [[and therefore, your pay) are almost twice as much.

Apparently it doesn't. I did ask about regular Uber. I'm sure that it not being black would be the first issue. But it's every bit as nice as a Cadillac or Chrysler 300 in my opinion.