Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Tiffany...thank you for your response and explanation. I went by your shop the other day and it looks as good as it did when it was called Henderson Glass. I have frequented your business in the past and was always pleased with the service. Continued good luck.

toneal4, that wasn't my point @ all, the President rose on a tide of marketing & hype like Pepsi. So for Obama to be displeased @ your family for tapping the same Cult Of Personality vein he manufactured, I find disengenuous [[On name value alone, what does "Obama Auto Glass" guarantee their customers that other shops don't? My cousins swear by Garrison Auto Glass because of the great work they do-not because they're "South Park" fans. I don't disparage your quest to make a buck, that's tough to do in the Detroit auto biz lately). But this is a giveaway;
    Quote Originally Posted by toneal4 View Post
    No one ever thought this county would come this far.
    What, to see General Motors, the greatest corporation in the History Of The World based right here in Detroit, brought to its knees as some sort of quasi-Marxist zombie company?

If Obama's botching of this gives him some sort of pass on this because of racial politics I got 2 words for you; Bobby Rush.

Obama's family was out of Seattle's equivalent to Birmingham-Mercer Island.
    http://seattlest.com/2008/01/30/obamas_mixed_an.php

No "Skip" Gates there-Mercer Island's home to BILL Gates. To sadly paraphrase Tavis Smiley, if you think anybody South of 8 Mile would vote for a guy from Birmingham for any other reason, I got a bridge to Windsor I'd like to sell you.

I would have to disagree that he didnt rise from Pepsi hype. True enough they promoted him so his name would be known. But give him a little more credit than that! If it wasnt for Pepsi he would still have been able to become President. However I see your point. My father chose the name because of personal reasons. NOT BECAUSE HE WANTED TO ATTRACT A CERTAIN CROWD or follow in the footsteps of the "Cult Of Personality vein" as you stated. We welcome everyone! I will support whatever name he selects for a business. I tip my hat off to my father for raising a family of 5 over the years. He is 53 years old and still has the drive and dedication to make things work for our family. If it wasnt for him I wouldnt be in the position that I am in now. Thanks Dad!

and thanks 65 we appreciate your business!

toneal4, this really isn't about your father...proud of him as you may be. The President himself does not support your family's actions;
    http://www.nytimes.com/2009/04/04/ny...04chicken.html
    And nothing less than a framed letter of support on White House stationery will change that fact
    Like I said, my cousins go to Garrison's, the success of your re-branded shop will rise & fall rightfully or wrongfully on the President. My family didn't buy our TV at Lucky Lindy's because the place was named after a guy born in Woodbridge, but because they were cheaper than Fretter & Highland-sadly my father didn't pursue the free 5 lbs of coffee.

Ok it doesn’t matter if the President supports his name use or not. I was just letting you know WHY he used it because you made it seem like it was only done for profit which it wasn't. It was done out of pride. BOTTOM LINE. If we were only receiving support from Obama then it WOULD MATTER because he doesn’t approve of his name use. The only thing that DOES MATTER is the support we receive from the surrounding communities. If you don’t approve of the name you are more than happy to patronize another business.

Political ideology of the person in question aside, I find it disturbing to see such veneration of any politician. It reminds me of the creepy cults of personality you see in Cuba, North Korea and other dismal places where veneration of the Dear Leader eventually became mandatory.

Certainly, the U.S. isn't anywhere near the level of those places, but to even step on the road that leads there is uncomfortable with me. It's OK if it stops at cheap t-shirts, buttons and other tchotchkes, gimcracks and trinkets. Nothing wrong with celebrating the transitory novelty of Obama's race as an election factor [[versus governing, where policy trumps all). But we need to be watchful that it doesn't get out of hand. At the end of the day, Obama the man is a politician, nothing more.

And I believe it was Mencken that said the only way to look at a politician was down, LOL.

Me, I'll shop at a biz with the best service and prices, even if its Pol Pot's House of Pottery. Of course, I won't patronize a biz that supports unsafe practices or is linked to unsavory groups, etc.

toneal4,

Does your father plan on honoring other great black men with future business endeavors? Martin Luther King Collision Shop, Malcolm X Tires & Rims, and Frederick Douglass Custom Paint & Detailing sound about as appropriate.

MIRepublic Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jtf1972 View Post
    toneal4,

Does your father plan on honoring other great black men with future business endeavors? Martin Luther King Collision Shop, Malcolm X Tires & Rims, and Frederick Douglass Custom Paint & Detailing sound about as appropriate.
    Xing! Win.

It would be completely different had the business previously been "Bush Auto & Electric" and the owner said "I had enough of Bush and needed a change!"

I do not intend to insult you or your father. In fact, I commend your father for doing business in Detroit. However to simply state that Obama's name recognition and popularity has nothing to do with the naming of the business is a bit ludicrous.

If I were to open Obama Muffler & Transmission next door, I don't think your father would enthusiastically support my celebration of our 1st Black President.
    Last edited by jtf1972; July-30-09 at 12:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BShea View Post
    Me, I'll shop at a biz with the best service and prices, even if its Pol Pot's House of Pottery...
    LOL... thanks for the laugh BShea...

Just today I was talking with a Philippine expatriot about their former first lady Imelda Marcos and her massive shoe collection.... now I can't get "Imeda's House of Shoes" out of my mind...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2