Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Originally Posted by royce
    "If someone from another state comes to visit Belle Isle, will they also pay for a yearly pass to visit other state parks for a whole year? I already have a state park pass. It is indicated on my license tab and Michigan vehicle registration. What happens then if a visitor is from out of state?"

I believe as with in both the metroparks and the state parks, there will be a day pass. The day pass price is usually a dollar or two.

My initial questions were asked because in all of the conversations about the Belle Isle pass fee, no one in the media mentioned what the daily fee would be. Someone earlier said it's $8.40 for a day pass. If true that's fine, but the media definitely has never mentioned this. I find this to be very interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by DNR Website
    How much does the Recreation Passport cost?
    Michigan residents: The Recreation Passport currently costs just $11 for vehicles and $5 for motorcycles.
    Non-residents: The cost of non-resident Recreation Passport, sold at state parks and recreation areas and online at the Michigan e-store, is $30.50 per vehicle for an annual permit and $8.40 for a daily pass. "Non-resident" means that your vehicle is registered in another state or province and it is not based on the driver's residency. The price of the non-resident permit is also tied to the Consumer Price Index and may increase in the future.

Can I still buy a daily pass?
    Daily passes are only eligible for Michigan non-registered vehicles. If your vehicle or motorcycle is registered in the State of Michigan, daily passes are no longer available, and you will need to purchase a Recreation Passport. Non-residents can purchase a daily pass at a state park or recreation area for $8.40.

Do I need a Recreation Passport if I am walking or riding a bicycle into an area that requires a Recreation Passport?
    A Recreation Passport is only required for a motorized vehicle entering the facility. Walking or riding a non-motorized bicycle into the facility does not require a Recreation Passport.
    http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...4654--,00.html
    Last edited by Gorath; November-19-13 at 06:51 PM.

And that annual $11 passport can be bought at the gate, right? Not just through the Secretary of State when you renew your plates?

Is there any option for someone who occasionally borrows someone's vehicle, or even rents one?!

Curious the daily pass is only available for non-residents...but for only three bucks more they're covered for the year...it shouldn't be too difficult for most.

I still know this can be a hardship for some in the city, for whom their biggest choice each month is food or the pills their doctor prescribes. There should be a program for those in poverty.

And all these should be revocable if the person is causing trouble in the parks...I can only bet there is something in those rules about that.

Thanks for the link.

Got my answer:
    Where can I get it?

Michigan registered vehicles

• Through the Secretary of State when renewing your drivers license through web, mail, kiosk or branch office
    • State parks and recreation areas
    • Operation Service Centers

And this is a nice program, Passport Perk discounts:

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,4570,7...742---,00.html
    Last edited by Gannon; November-19-13 at 09:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Curious the daily pass is only available for non-residents...but for only three bucks more they're covered for the year...it shouldn't be too difficult for most.
    I know that it's normal to hear non-residents and think "suburbanites". That was my initial reaction too.

When the state refers to non-residents it means people from outside the State of Michigan. People from Muskegon will not be allowed to buy a one-day pass. But people from Toledo, OH would.

I also made the same $3 calculation you did. But it turns out that for non residents, an annual pass isn't $11, it's over $30. So a one-day pass might make sense.

Lastly, I know we will probably have to agree to disagree on this part, but as long as bus riders, pedestrians, and bicyclists are allowed free access, I'm ok with everyone in a car paying $11.

Thanks, I caught the state residency, didn't relate it properly...thanks for the clarity.

It is still going to cause some friction. Might have to take a video camera to the first couple weekend evenings after they put up the gates. Should be interesting.

I told that State Trooper earlier that they could make some serious money with a laser speed detection unit parked at the flower clock, ticketing everyone who speeds over the bridge. I'm still reeling in the positive interaction with the guy.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    I told that State Trooper earlier that they could make some serious money with a laser speed detection unit parked at the flower clock, ticketing everyone who speeds over the bridge. I'm still reeling in the positive interaction with the guy.

Cheers
    Or they could spend their time doing real police work

Corktownyuppie, the recreational fee of $11 is only for the vehicle entering a state park, not for each occupant in the vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Like what, when they are stuck on the island?!

He and I were talking about filtering out the bad elements on the island, and that was my proposal. I've seen for years how some fly over that bridge, and it'd be a great way to make those fools pay a tax for their rush.

In a perfect world, unfortunately, all of the Homeland Insecurity/Coast Guard folks would get tickets, too...but that will merely be collateral damage. They are some of the WORST speeders on the island, always. But we know they'll be treated with 'professional courtesy'.

I've seen some of them fly by me on the south side at more than twice the limit, then I'll pass them as they wait for the guard to open the gate. I get so pissed that sometimes I want to follow them in and file a complaint.

Quote Originally Posted by MSUguy View Post
    Catching unsafe drivers is real police work. It is the job of police officers to keep the general public safe and some a-hole who flies by at 50 in a 25 is putting everyone around them at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by gumby View Post
    Catching unsafe drivers is real police work. It is the job of police officers to keep the general public safe and some a-hole who flies by at 50 in a 25 is putting everyone around them at risk.
    Then I'd like to publicly out the driver from this morning...of a pristine white Chrysler minivan with Federal Government plates with the last five digits of 1122M who passed me like I was standing still just before the police station, as I left the island while listening to the beginning of the Craig Fahle show. [[I wasn't going to miss the show, with him talking with Toronto's Jian Ghomeshi about the Rob Ford deal, I jogged back to the car from the point!)

He was doing at least fifty in that twenty zone.

I remembered the license plate because of that infamous combination of numbers that resonates fifty years later this very week. It was too odd to forget.

No cheers on this...sure would like to see EVERYONE get on board with following the speed laws at least.

Sincerely,
    John

How will park rangers enforce the Recreation Passport when it's only two little "P's" on the license plate tab?
    If you have a Recreation Passport on your vehicle, just drive right in! Our intent is to try and alleviate some of the lines when entering a park or access site. When making their rounds through state parks, recreation areas, state forest campgrounds and non-motorized trail head and boat launch parking, Passport Rangers will verify that you have the "P's" on your license plate tab. You'll see round, orange "Passport Ranger" magnets on the side of Passport Ranger vehicles. If you do not have a Recreation Passport but have entered a state park, recreation area or boat launch, you are subject to a fine.
    This is going to be a cluster!

Yeah, they need to put a toll booth or something on the line.

Enforcing those fines/tickets is gonna be as impossible as enforcing blight violations. People just don't care.

I visited a state park in Grand Haven this past summer. There was a line for those who had the recreation pass and a line for those who had to pay because they didn't have the pass. Because I didn't have to go up to a pay booth, I was wondering how they knew I had the pass. When I looked through my rear view mirror I could see one of the park rangers looking at my back license plate. I guess if I didn't have the "P" on my plate, the park ranger would have flagged me down and forced me to pay for the pass or ask me to leave the park. The state knows what to do. If someone goes through a check point and tries to sneak in, the MSP or DNR police on the island will get them.

Quote Originally Posted by Eber Brock Ward View Post
    Yeah, they need to put a toll booth or something on the line.

Enforcing those fines/tickets is gonna be as impossible as enforcing blight violations. People just don't care.
    People may not care, but they will when they can't get their tags renewed because of the outstanding tickets.

I would agree with you if Detroit was doing the enforcing. They're not.

What I found ironic about the announcement is that it was specified that public transit vehicles will not have to pay to enter the park, which would be great if any public transportation vehicles ever entered the park, which none do.

Name:  belleimprove.png
Views: 285
Size:  18.6 KB

According to the Belle Isle Conservancy, improvements to the park have started. I'm sure that this is only the beginning, the DNR has many beautiful parks across the state and in time, Belle Isle is sure to be one of the best.

Pleasantly surprised that they are hitting the ground running. Good news!

If the State had not taken it over it could be sold under the Bankruptcy!
    Could you imagine the Island being sold and become a gated community for the rich?

Where are those 300 chanting idiots that wanted the State to lay off its "Jewel"?????

WHERE ARE YOU JOANN WATSON?!?!!?!?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by mikeg19 View Post
    Where are those 300 chanting idiots that wanted the State to lay off its "Jewel"?????

WHERE ARE YOU JOANN WATSON?!?!!?!?!?!?
    There will be a deafening silence from the likes of Ms. Watson.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2