Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    For what, the salesperson's inability to represent the truth while making a sale?!
    More importantly, the consumer's inability to read and understand what they've signed or purchased.

I know, but it isn't the first time inaccuracies were shared by a BB salesperson.

I go there often, to keep up on the state of the industry, and listen in on the pitches all the time.

It is astounding the amount of bullshit that gets passed off as truth.

But you're right, shame on the consumer for assuming anyone would cover their abuse of the product. I've never known any warranty to cover that.

It was tougher back in the day with loudspeaker damage, which always confused those who bought speakers that could 'handle' more power than their amp was rated to deliver...although, I'm still friends with the first service tech who ever had to teach ME that lesson!

I cannot see an old Infinity Q-series speaker midrange without remembering it, either.

Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
    Wha?!

The national chain had a policy to not hire anyone under 18. I became assistant manager before my 18th birthday. My first job in the hifi industry...
    Mine too. I worked @ that store........

Quote Originally Posted by Rochelle St. View Post
    There was another Fetter sign on the store at Gratiot and Seven Mile.
    That was the store where I got my first am/fm cassette boombox in 1981-2, I think it was a Sanyo, it came with one 30 min. tape, had only one speaker too. My dad took me down that area to shop for it, we parked on Gratiot and walked to more than one store but I forget the others. It was snowing and I thought it was pretty cool... lots of stores, lights, seemed magical...

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Mine too. I worked @ that store........
    @Tech Hifi or Fretter? Have we met?!

That would be too funny...

Shortly after we were married in 1973, my wife and I walked into the Fretter's on Michigan Avenue in Dearborn. I had about $400 in my wallet to buy a Philco 19" color television, since my Dad worked for Ford and could get me a rebate on a Philco purchase. None of the salesmen seemed to eager to help us, so we found the set we wanted, and stood by it for a good fifteen minutes, while older, more respectable-looking customers walked in and received immediate sales help. We finally gave up and walked out, and went to another appliance store that didn't offer free coffee, or have the buffoon owner doing his own commercials...I believe it was Walter's Home Appliance in Livonia. When I told the salesman of our earlier experience at Fretters, he sold us the TV for ten bucks less than Ollie wanted! I never, ever considered buying anything from Fretter's after that, and passed on the poor review to all my friends and co-workers over the next few years. I'd like to think I played a small part in the goofball having to close up shop!

I was walking around East Somerville, MA [[not far from the Community College or Sullivan Square) in 2011 near a Target, and it's sign was connected to a dessicated Fretter's sign [[got a photo I hope to post, since the recent 2013 Googlemaps shows a cleaned-up, changed sign). I flipped! When I asked locals they remember the coffee ads, and I guess Fretter's had opened a few locations in Mass right before they closed shop. Fretter's and Highland Appliance had some of the craziest ads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2