Flying has been an accumulating annoyance since 9/11. Today's experience was the first hints of a counter trend I have experienced since then. And it came in three's.

1-When I pulled into the Blue Lot to find it boldly announcing that parking is now $10 per day. I had always paid around $17-18. WTF, okay, maybe the competition of the outside lots was kicking them. Or is this a price war to wipe them out?

2-I go through security I am pointed toward a dour TSA agent and am told to 'go over there' as I have been selected for [I forgot what they called it]. Now it's, "Aw F***. I'll miss my flight," while visions of some TSA agent snapping on rubber gloves while his partners rip through my backpack dances through my mind.

Instead I'm told to leave my shoes on [that's right], just put my belt and pocket contents in a tray and push it through the scanner with my backpack.

"Leave my shoes on?", I ask.

"Yes."

"I have a laptop in my bag. Don't I have to put it in a separate tray?"

"Leave it in there." Hmm Okaaaay... Then I am sent through a metal detector portal.

"What about the bomb scanner [pointing to it to my right]'? Don't I have to go in there, stand on the footprints and raise my hands in the surrender position?"

"No, you're cleared."

At first I thought, do I look that old and harmless now? Then, where's the trap door? But others younger were also being sent to this kinder, gentler, quicker route. Any ideas what that was all about?

3-I get to my gate, sit down, flip on the iPhone and, WTF again, they have free WiFi. Gone is the extortionate Boingo paid access and I am surfing DetroitYES for free.

What are they trying to do? Get people to fly? I don't get it.