Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    Where did you get Detroit is a verb that means "ruin" from the commercial? They said, "We won't let you Detroit us" while they put in quotation marks on the screen, "Why Obama let Detroit [[city) go bankrupt" [[Detroit News Editorial).

Detroit [[verb) from the commercial means "bankrupt", not the verb "ruin". If it was "ruin", you would have seen the verb "ruin" somewhere on the screen, not "bankrupt".

Bankruptcy these days is the process of getting your finances in order by wiping out bad debts. People are filing for bankruptcies and keeping their houses, cars, and other assets. Even Donald Trump filed for bankruptcy three times to clean up his bad debts and he still owns a bunch of skyscrapers across the nation. Detroit is filing for bankruptcy to reduce their huge public pension obligations that they couldn't negotiate outside of the courts; it's not the end of the city, and bankruptcy will not turn Detroit into a ghost town. Bankruptcy will not ruin Detroit; it will make Detroit stand on a much solider ground by having the courts clean up their bad debts so people will want to come back.

How did you not get that?
    I'm thinking those few frames showing burned out, spray painted homes and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    I'm thinking those few frames showing burned out, spray painted homes and the like.
    I saw only one frame at :43 with a couple empty houses and one of them had the word "Bert" on it. The next frame with a graffitied concrete median had the California caption over it. But, empty houses can also mean redevelopment. Doesn't that area north of downtown for the new hockey stadium have empty houses like the Temple hotel with a lot of vacant land and garbage on it? Does that imply the area is ruined or is it a new and improved start for that area when they put the new hockey stadium there??

Quote Originally Posted by davewindsor View Post
    I saw only one frame at :43 with a couple empty houses and one of them had the word "Bert" on it. The next frame with a graffitied concrete median had the California caption over it. But, empty houses can also mean redevelopment. Doesn't that area north of downtown for the new hockey stadium have empty houses like the Temple hotel with a lot of vacant land and garbage on it? Does that imply the area is ruined or is it a new and improved start for that area when they put the new hockey stadium there??
    And if pigs could fly, we wouldn't have to drive them to market. You're absolutely right, it COULD mean all of those things, if it's intent were meant for thought provoking thinking or discussion. But, IMO, that wasn't the intent of this message. I'm just a little surprised that people actually buy into these kinds of scare-tactic messages.