Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

I can't say I agree with this guy's commentary, but he gives a pretty interesting tour of the City.

I strongly urge the OP to rent. Give Austin Black III a call and have him find you a place that accepts pets. Do NOT buy a house here before you know the area. It doesn't matter what anyone says about one neighborhood or area. Your tastes and expectations are different. Dropping 40K will guarantee stress in your life and marriage. It doesn't matter how savvy you are, how tough you are, or perspicuous; within a few months you will feel like you made a terrible decision just because you jumped into buying a house before you knew the area.

I agree with the get to know the neighbors before you buy the house.

When you rent a house - you don't care as much about neighbors because you can move after 6 months/year and you just "deal with it".

It would be stupid to close on a house without knocking on the doors of neighbors on all sides [[front, back, accross the street etc). Say you're interested in buying the house and ask them about the neighborhood. What they love. What they hate etc.

If it's a decent neighborhood the neighbors will welcome the conversation [[because they want you to be a good neighbor too). Then you know what you're moving into [[until the neighbors move) but it beats the scenario of plopping down money on a home only to find 2 weeks later the neighbors throw mega parties on weekends, blare music or whatever else your pet peeve du jour is.

The responsibility for due diligence rests with the buyer.

It's not something to be "lazy" about.