Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
    So I asked the question - do we have an obligation to support local businesses even if their offerings are subpar to another option? The consensus was that we should seek out grocery stores that were local and good for our standards but shouldn't feel bad about not patronizing a place because it doesn't have the items we expect it to or the service we expect. In short, a business doesn't deserve to stay open [[our patronage) solely because it has a Detroit address.
    I've always wondered what some peoples stances are on this. I personally support local businesses that I enjoy and offer me a good value. I don't think anyone should be obligated to shop at, say, Food Pride, just because it is locally owned. But I know some people who are willing to do just that. To each their own.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    I've always wondered what some peoples stances are on this. I personally support local businesses that I enjoy and offer me a good value. I don't think anyone should be obligated to shop at, say, Food Pride, just because it is locally owned. But I know some people who are willing to do just that. To each their own.
    There's no obligation whatsoever, from my perspective. In certain places, supporting local is compulsory as it's the only game in town [[see: Williamsburg).

YOBS is the unfortunate byproduct of multiple factors, one of which is the discovery that there's not nearly enough critical mass in Midtown to warrant two high-end grocers.