Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Hybrid View

As many people have said, the vitality of both Birmingham and the Pointes are tied to the health of the region, and if the region continues to suffer, I would expect both areas to be negatively affected. However, I do think that a large portion of the Pointes is more distinctive than the Birmingham area--you could recreate something similar to Birmingham in Livingston County, especially with all the teardowns and [[IMO) tasteless renovations. Much more difficult to replicate the Pointes, although there are very distinctive parts of Bloomfield, and you aren't going to replicate Cranbrook. On the other hand, I have to think that because of their location, the Pointes have more at stake in the state of downtown Detroit.

But the biggest wildcard is what the tastes of the next generation or two are like. I see little evidence so far that the younger folks either can or want to put as large a portion of their resources into housing as their predecessors, and with fewer children schools are less of an issue.
    Last edited by mwilbert; November-10-13 at 06:00 PM.

GP is kinda out of the way. younger people like being around bars & nightlife. Not much of that in the pointes.

Quote Originally Posted by rex View Post
    GP is kinda out of the way. younger people like being around bars & nightlife. Not much of that in the pointes.
    another plus for the Pointes

i like it out that way. Another unpopular rex opinion. EEV would have benefited from being a pointe instead of Detroit.

GPP is working hard to retain and attract a younger set. West Park on Kercheval is going through a major revamp. College students are getting grants to assist with rental fees. Home owners are getting grants to convert old homes back to single dwellings. Can't say I agree with all of it, but it does show a community that wants to stay vibrant.

Maybe I missed a post or two but didn't see comments on the great parks and recreation for kids.

Quote Originally Posted by sumas View Post
    GPP is working hard to retain and attract a younger set. West Park on Kercheval is going through a major revamp. College students are getting grants to assist with rental fees. Home owners are getting grants to convert old homes back to single dwellings. Can't say I agree with all of it, but it does show a community that wants to stay vibrant.

Maybe I missed a post or two but didn't see comments on the great parks and recreation for kids.
    The west end of GPP has tons of potential [[with its somewhat urban feel). Its build is similar to what the lower eastside was like doing its prime, or Hamtramck [[It's just of matter of doing something about the other side of Alter Road.

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    The west end of GPP has tons of potential [[with its somewhat urban feel). Its build is similar to what the lower eastside was like doing its prime, or Hamtramck [[It's just of matter of doing something about the other side of Alter Road.
    That is true to a degree. Creekside is still vibrant to a degree. Unfortunately there is currently some bad blood between JEBA, another effective org and GPP. Long story! We have such great river front parks that have just gone fallow. Also long story!

My solution would be to detach and reattach that portion of Detroit to GPP. It was once a single community that Detroit annexed in the twenties dividing the Village of Fairview. Easier said than done.

Unfortunately there is currently some bad blood between JEBA, another effective org and GPP. Long story! .

What is JEBA and what's the beef?

Rex, I would the other side of Alter is ugly but not dangerous by Detroit standards.

last time i was over there almost 10 years ago The other side of Alter was like a prairie. Is there anybody left over there to cause crime? Is that a dangerous neighborhood still? Ugly sure, dangerous though?

Jefferson East Business Association.... an educated guess??

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Jefferson East Business Association.... an educated guess??
    Good call! The issue was over a historic building that GPP bought and wanted to tear down. Half the block is GPP the other half Detroit

Good call! The issue was over a historic building that GPP bought and wanted to tear down. Half the block is GPP the other half Detroit
    The historic dilapidated eyesore? Yeah, that needs to go. This was a perfect instance where asking for forgiveness is better than asking for permission.

Actually the east side has many viable neighborhoods and yes urban prairie. too. I am talking about the Jefferson riverfront corridor. Urban prairies rules compared to burnt out hulks of buildings, which we have more than a few.

Actually the east side has many viable neighborhoods and yes urban prairie. too. I am talking about the Jefferson riverfront corridor. Urban prairies rules compared to burnt out hulks of buildings, which we have more than a few.

Was that the building on the NE corner of Jefferson/Alter Sumas?

I don't know about what was/is planned for the corner of Moross & Mack... but if it's going to just be a "mere" fitness center then it was a very pathetic ending for forcing 8 homeowners out of their houses along Moross., as well as a Kroger. There's also the large corner site of a former Sears Outlet Store and a former Hughes Hatcher's Store that have long been razed.

Wow.... so the most prime piece of commercial real estate in practically all of the Farms is going to be an LA Fitness... yawn.

Wonder how much tax base, jobs, that will generate?

I had always pictured something like the 3 story building across the side street from Henry Ford Cottage Hospital on Kercheval... but they likely didn't want to generate a lot of foot traffic on the Mack site.

Also, I'm sure that GPF has a very powerful NIMBY crowd to prevent anything large scale or remotely controversial.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-14-13 at 11:17 PM.

I don't know about what was/is planned for the corner of Moross & Mack... but if it's going to just be a "mere" fitness center then it was a very pathetic ending for forcing 8 homeowners out of their houses along Moross., as well as a Kroger. There's also the large corner site of a former Sears Outlet Store and a former Hughes Hatcher's Store that have long been razed.

Wow.... so the most prime piece of commercial real estate in practically all of the Farms is going to be an LA Fitness... yawn.

Wonder how much tax base, jobs, that will generate?

I had always pictured something like the 3 story building across the side street from Henry Ford Cottage Hospital on Kercheval... but they likely didn't want to generate a lot of foot traffic on the Mack site.

Also, I'm sure that GPF has a very powerful NIMBY crowd to prevent anything large scale or remotely controversial.
    well, LA Fitness are not exactly "small" as gyms go. looking at the flyer it does look from the cartoonish map on it that its going to be on the St Johns Parking lot side of the mack/moross corner.

I imagine there is some reluctance to allow an office building to be thrown up on spec. The Kerby building is half empty, there are multiple empty/for sale offices along mack to Cadiieux....so throwing in more office would seem to be a bad decision.

I agree with many... it would be a perfect location for a small hotel.

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    well, LA Fitness are not exactly "small" as gyms go. looking at the flyer it does look from the cartoonish map on it that its going to be on the St Johns Parking lot side of the mack/moross corner.

I imagine there is some reluctance to allow an office building to be thrown up on spec. The Kerby building is half empty, there are multiple empty/for sale offices along mack to Cadiieux....so throwing in more office would seem to be a bad decision.

I agree with many... it would be a perfect location for a small hotel.
    Where we left off 2 weeks ago...

I just drove by the Pointe Plaza [[St. John Campus mini-mall) Center on the Detroit side of Moross/Mack. That LA Fitness Center is going to be in that small shopping arcade, taking the place of the Rite-Aid store and one or two neighboring stores. They are putting a very large new building front onto the Moross side of that plaza, with the fake facade building front rising above 2 levels of parking above the shops [[sort of a mini RenCen Winter Garden look to it).

So that large parcel of empty land on the GPF side of Mack/Moross is still unplanned.
    Last edited by Gistok; November-30-13 at 04:31 PM.

Where we left off 2 weeks ago...

I just drove by the Pointe Plaza [[St. John Campus mini-mall) Center on the Detroit side of Moross/Mack. That LA Fitness Center is going to be in that small shopping arcade, taking the place of the Rite-Aid store and one or two neighboring stores. They are putting a very large new building front onto the Moross side of that plaza, with the fake facade building front rising above 2 levels of parking above the shops [[sort of a mini RenCen Winter Garden look to it).

So that large parcel of empty land on the GPF side of Mack/Moross is still unplanned.
    Gistok, the GPF counsel has absolutely no interest in any development of the corner. I have a feeling they have their eye on the the Jo-Ann Fabric Store and would like to raze that building.

Quote Originally Posted by p69rrh51 View Post
    Gistok, the GPF counsel has absolutely no interest in any development of the corner. I have a feeling they have their eye on the the Jo-Ann Fabric Store and would like to raze that building.
    P69rrh51, it's rather odd how GPF went about acquiring the 8 houses that they razed along Moross. They bought the 8th one away from Mack and razed it, thus pressuring the 7 closer houses to sell... only to not have a plan for the parcel. Then the empty parcel got bigger with the purchase/razing of Krogers. So for a city with no plans... they sure are being methodical about it...

Thanks Bailey... when I was last in the Kerby Building [[2006), it was pretty much full. And speaking of that area, it's funny how so much of the block has gotten "Palladian" facade upgrades to their original more modern building designs.

I agree, a small boutique hotel would be ideal for the Moross/Mack site. If Grosse Pointers have out of town guests [[or if St. John patients have family from out of town)... there's no nearby choice [[besides the I-94 service drive motel/hotel in Harper Woods) for visitors.

People that contribute to the economy care about their health and a huge fitness center brings a lot to the community. It's a pain driving 30-40 minutes round trip to work out before or after a long day of work.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.vandorn View Post
    People that contribute to the economy care about their health and a huge fitness center brings a lot to the community. It's a pain driving 30-40 minutes round trip to work out before or after a long day of work.
    Again posting total uniformed bullshit. There are at least three public gyms in GP now for those that want to work out. Of course many GPers are members of the DAC, or have an office gym, or use other private club's gym, or use GP Park's residents only fitness center.

Stop posting on this topic as you clearly are totally uniformed about GP.
    Last edited by bailey; November-15-13 at 09:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by mark.vandorn View Post
    https://maps.google.com/maps?ie=UTF-...&ved=0CNoBELYD

Agree Bailey... and I didn't know St. Clair Shores was so far away from the Grosse Pointe "contributing class".... or do the non-contributing retirees go there?

Sorry Mark... but can you get any more condescending?? You really do come across as fingernails on a chalkboard on this forum.

One wouldn't expect the lazy unemployeed to be able to afford to go to these... and the Bridge Card folks can't use their cards here??
    Last edited by Gistok; November-15-13 at 09:12 AM.

...along with those in SCS, GP has GPAC, Neighborhood Club, Pointe Fitness, Next Level Fitness the 3 or 4 Yoga studios on the Hill, in the village and Kerch in the Park. as well as private trainer gym on the Hill.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast