Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bham1982 View Post
    Ferndale enjoys a very strategic location in the heart of the region. You can use 696, Woodward, Lodge and I-75 to go almost anywhere. In contrast, the Pointes are far from everything except for downtown, and not along any freeways.
    All of the Grosse Pointes are less than 5 minutes from I-94 [[about as long as it takes to get from all of the freeways near Ferndale).

Quote Originally Posted by 313WX View Post
    All of the Grosse Pointes are less than 5 minutes from I-94 [[about as long as it takes to get from all of the freeways near Ferndale).
    I don't think that's true. 696, the most strategic freeway in the region, forms the northern border of Ferndale, and is accessed by fast-moving Woodward. I-94, nowhere near as strategic, doesn't run in the Pointes, is accessed via much slower local roads, and sits in the ghetto. And Ferndale is surrounded by "useful things" on most sides [[downtown Royal Oak, people's jobs in Southfield, etc.) while the Pointes surrounded by water to the east, slums to the west, and perfectly fine but anonymous Macomb bungalows to the north. Where are the shops, restaurants and services?

I-94...sits in the ghetto.
    You mean to tell me we will have to drive through DETOILET to reach the nearest expressway!? That just won't do!!! After all, CRIME and POVERTY may jump out of nowhere and latch onto our moving luxury car!!!

You mean to tell me we will have to drive through DETOILET to reach the nearest expressway!? That just won't do!!! After all, CRIME and POVERTY may jump out of nowhere and latch onto our moving luxury car!!!
    Feel free to snicker, but I bet this is an issue to some folks. You basically have to travel through some of the worst slums in the U.S. to get anywhere. I would not enjoy crossing the Alter "Berlin Wall" just to get decent sushi, groceries, or a pair of pants. The Pointes are gorgeous but isolated, IMO. Ferndale is bland architecturally and poor schools but strategic location.
    Last edited by Bham1982; November-06-13 at 09:04 PM.

Im with bham on this. I-696 is definitely the more strategic highway compared to I-94. I-94 is ugly, gritty, and gross. And the cities through which it goes are generally struggling blue collar communities at best or dirty, blighted, neighborhoods with crime issues at worst.

if the neighborhoods bordering I-94 were Boston Edison, Palmer Woods, and Indian Village, people would have a totally different perception of Detroit. Unfortunately, instead of putting our best foot forward, the view from I-94 is some of the worst parts of the city.

Obviously that's no ones "fault" but we shouldn't be ignorant of it. Image does matter.

As for GP, I think it might be a bit premature to say its best days are being it. A lot can change in 10-20 years, and I think that GP property will rise if Downtown becomes seen as a regional attraction and if East English Village cleans up the blight and crime issues.

I know that many Detroiters resent now much focus goes downtown....and understandably so. But even with the recent progress, I think it is fair to say that 50-60+% if the 4,000,000 Metro Detroiters still perceive downtown as dangerous. Now obviously that perception is not accurate IMHO. But it will take another decade or more to start really changing the perception of outsiders. When they see Detroit as a place to explore and enjoy rather than a place to avoid, GP will take off once again.

The advantage that it has puts its head and shoulders above the Oakland County competitors... Coastal property on Lake St Clair. That's a total game changer.

Where are the shops, restaurants and services?
    WTF? they just put a brand new BW3 at 9 and Harper, what more do you want? its very close to GP.

I don't think that's true. 696, the most strategic freeway in the region, forms the northern border of Ferndale, and is accessed by fast-moving Woodward. I-94, nowhere near as strategic, doesn't run in the Pointes, is accessed via much slower local roads, and sits in the ghetto. And Ferndale is surrounded by "useful things" on most sides [[downtown Royal Oak, people's jobs in Southfield, etc.) while the Pointes surrounded by water to the east, slums to the west, and perfectly fine but anonymous Macomb bungalows to the north. Where are the shops, restaurants and services?
    Bham1982.... sorry but I call BS on that claim.... the 48224 zipcode... the Detroit one you have to drive partway thru to get to get to I-94 has Cadieux, Outer Drive/Whittier, Moross and [[in 48236) Vernier to get to I-94... last time I checked the Detroit part of that area may now be majority African-American... but I would hardly call it Ghetto. And your I-696 claim is also rather spurious... half of it goes thru Macomb County?? The folks in the Pointes have quite a bit of shopping choices along Mack Ave, and farther north, along Harper and Jefferson Ave. It's not the wasteland you make it out to be. Only thing missing is an upscale mall.

Grosse Pointe is older and more urban than Bloomfield Hills.

Grosse Pointe is more GM people while Bloomfield Hills is more Chrysler.

Grosse Pointe doesn't need to be "close to stuff" in Metro Detroit suburbs. Everywhere is still accessible by car if need be.

Grosse Pointe is on Lake St Claire. Bloomfield Hills has hills.

Bloomfield Hills is close to Birmingham and Royal Oak and Pontiac.

Grosse Pointe is close to Downtown.

Neither Grosse Pointe nor Bloomfield Hills have much culture. This isn't New York City, but the Industrial Midwest.

The few blocks that make up the shopping/dinning districts of Birmingham, Royal Oak or Ferndale pale in comparison to the countless similar blocks in real cities that don't abandon and neglect their central city.