Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

See? I knew it would happen...
    First of all I live in the city of Detroit and have for my entire life. I own my own home here. I'm not some transplant. Not that that gives me any cred or bragging rights, but just wanted to clarify.
    Second, every one of the buildings I have taken these items from was slated for or in the process of demolition, EXCEPT for the UA. The UA piece was on the floor. I didn't rip anything down. It was the only thing I took from the building besides photos.
    Third, why would anyone need to contact me to return anything? If the building was getting rehabbed, I would probably know, and take it to them. The fact that it has never happened to any building i have taken plaster from so far isn't my fault, and you are baseless in calling me a bullshitter.
    Fourth, I have never broken into a building in my life. I either secure permission from the owner, the demo crew, or go in a way that was already opened. I know that last way qualifies as trespassing, and I will admit to being guilty of that. So what?
    Fifth, I do not destroy anything. Never threw a rock, never tagged a wall, never set a fire.

If you think I'm wrong, that's cool. Your opinion is exactly that. Call bullshit, or tell me to grow up or be a man. I couldn't care less what you say up there on your high horse. The vast majority of damage I find in these buildings is from the elements, not people. As for me, I would much rather save what I can from impending destruction instead of standing outside and watch the wrecking ball turn it all to dust and lament that I never got to see what it looked like inside.
    I live in the city, I pay taxes, and I go inside abandoned buildings.
    So I guess that all I do is make the city worse for the rest of "us".

Lorax Guest

Krawlspace, I'm definitely on your side. I've been liberating things from doomed buildings, either with the permission of the owners, or, during demolition. I have never gone in and removed pieces from buildings that were simply open to scavenging, for no other reason then I was too chickenshit. More power to you.

If it weren't for people like Krawlspace, we wouldn't have any shred of evidence other than photographs that these places even existed. I loved the Ramona Theatre, by the way, and was there when it was demoed about 30 years ago. The Grand Riviera was it's sister theater, which came down not too long ago.

Until Detroit, it's slumlords, and it's police get their act together, then it's open season as far as I'm concerned. I say the Abyssinian Church on Woodward should be either sealed shut or stripped by those who will preserve the artifacts. The city should be doing it to buildings they own as far as I'm concerned.

Refer to my thread on the Book Building and it's golden cherub clock hanging from the lobby ceiling. Let's see it that makes it to the end of the year. Tick tock, tick tock.....

Thanks Lorax...
    Funny you should mention the Abyssinia/Woodward Presbyterian church.
    I was thinking about that very building while writing my last post.
    Beautiful church with a huge, gaping hole in the roof. Nothing destroys plaster and wood faster than water. But there it will sit, melting, with all it's former grandeur pooled up on the floor. But it's people like me who are responsible for its [[and apparently the entire city's) demise.

Lorax Guest

Your welcome, Krawlspace.

I have a fantastic scroll in carved limestone from above one of the dozens of 20 foot arched windows of Rose Terrace in Grosse Pointe, a lead stairway finial in the form of a Grecian female from the Wesson Seyburn estate, among other things. I did have dozens of items from churches, and mansions both in Detroit and the suburbs, but either sold them or gave them away during frequent moves over the years.

There is [[or was) a grouping of incredible plaster heads and other items from some building sitting in that Knightsbridge Antique Mall, which I believe is in Livonia or Farmington, can't remember which! I was there last month and saw them, really great.