Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Since this thread is going to the Hall of Fame, we might as well save a copy of the colorful [[but sadly destroyed) Chicago United Artists image from 1985 [[4 years before it was razed) from my link in a previous post.

After a few years links have a nasty habit of no longer working... so here's Russell Phillips nice image saved for posterity...

Gistok, I was in the Chicago UA in 1978 and remember that it kind of like the Detroit UA [[I was at the DuMochelle auction of the UA in1975) and remembered the fact that it looked odd, there were traces of a much older theatre there. I bought a book that THS put out for their 1977 convention with pictures and descriptions of all of Chicago's palaces, I still have it. I looked up the Chicago UA in that book when I got home from that trip and discovered the Crane re-model business. Went into a lot of theatres in Chicago in '77-'82. the loop still had most of its houses--the Woods, UA, Oriental, Chicago, Roosevelt, we visited them all.
    Did you ever go to the Esquire before they butchered it? I went there on the same trip as the UA visit, saw "An Unmarried woman" first run.
    The percentage of theatres showing first run product in Chicago vs Kung-Fu and Blaxploitation in Detroit was readily apparent to me at that age!