Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by dexterferry View Post
    "And before anyone flames me for having "stolen property", all of the buildings these items came from have been demolished except for the UA."

yeah, but obviously they weren't demolished when you stole them. what else do you have hidden away for the enjoyment of your private guests? you sound like that WARD guy justifying his vandalism. don't get me wrong: I don't think there's anything all that terrible with what you've done, but shut the f--- up with the justification. you stole them: the fact that the buildings came down doesn't change that fact. you stole them from the building owners and you stole them from the public had some opportunity arisen for preservation.

I'm going to back up Krawl on this one. I too have pieces salvaged from St. Thomas and St. Cyril, taken while both churches were in the process of being demolished. Both were wide open and the rubble certainly wasn't being reused, as it was loaded into trucks and hauled away. Obviously there was no renovation taking place, as both are now empty lots.

Both churches were near and dear to me since my family had been members of both parishes, my parents went to their schools and I was baptized at St. Thomas.

The pieces that would have gone to a landfill are now prominently displayed in my parent's gardens, used as plant stands. They are enjoyed by people that count, folks who had special memories of their churches and schools, and serve a far better purpose than filling landfills.

For Gistok and everyone else, here is a picture of the UA building that I took on July 12th.

Attachment 2403

Quote Originally Posted by cman710 View Post
    For Gistok and everyone else, here is a picture of the UA building that I took on July 12th.

Attachment 2403
    Is that a chute coming from the top floor on the right?

One other thing this site has given me is that I never knew how beautiful those theatres were . I am glad I did see the Riviara Theatre before they tore it down and that was because I was looking for the Grande.
    I have a hunch that because the UA is still standing there must be something in the works for it .If I would have found this sight when I was spending my Saturdays downtown 2 yrs ago I would have been more informed and might have looked even further into the buildings.

Hello all. As always, great posts Gistok. Your information on theatres is superb! I am a volunteer at the Redford Theatre and in talking to a fellow volunteer, I learned some interesting news about the United Artists. Apparently, the same company that helped in some of our plaster restoration was recently at the United Artists doing some estimates on restoration this year. One road block they ran into was a lack of original plasterwork since most, if not all has been cleaned up. So, it looks like restoration is definitely being considered and hopefully pursued. We shall see.

=) =) =) =) very happy =) =) =)

Quote Originally Posted by Plains_Thunder View Post
    Hello all. As always, great posts Gistok. Your information on theatres is superb! I am a volunteer at the Redford Theatre and in talking to a fellow volunteer, I learned some interesting news about the United Artists. Apparently, the same company that helped in some of our plaster restoration was recently at the United Artists doing some estimates on restoration this year. One road block they ran into was a lack of original plasterwork since most, if not all has been cleaned up. So, it looks like restoration is definitely being considered and hopefully pursued. We shall see.
    Thanks very much and welcome Plains_Thunder!

I am really glad that you posted this information... it at least gives us hope for C. Howard Crane's finest acoustic theatre [[at least in Detroit). Crane honed his acoustic magic on Orchestra Hall in 1919, and then refined it in his larger 1922 Capitol Theatre [[now Detroit Opera House). His 1928 Detroit United Artists was an acoustic and exotic masterpiece.

From what we know... the Art Deco inspired Indian Maiden busts throughout the theatre and lobby are gone [[stolen by scrappers). But there are specialized firms [[such as Conrad Schmitt Studios) that could sculpturally recreate one bust [[via old photos), and then create molds to recreate all the others in plaster.

The lower part of the Procenium was removed back in the 50s [[for a wider screen), and would have to be recreated. Similar procenium recreation work was done at the Detroit Opera House [[where one of the reliefs ware recast as an image of Dr. David DiChiera).

If the plasterwork still survives as in this photo [[taken about 2 years ago), then the upper procenium arch, much of the procenium canopy and the organ grilles are still somewhat intact. Ditto for the ceiling coves and fan vaults.

The worst damage to the theatre was in the rotunda lobby that separates the outer lobby from the auditorium. But the different sides of this circular space are a continuous repitition... so all they really need is 1 side relatively intact.

Any UA Theatre restoration [[as opposed to renovation) would likely be like the Detroit Opera House, where 90% of the plasterwork was replaced... either reproduced [[via molds made of the older plaster) or re-created.

Sorry, I lost the credits for this UA auditorium image taken when there were still holes in the roof. The drapes are from when they "didn't want to show all that old stuff anymore"... and hid the fancy organ grilles and missing procenium plasterwork.

As mentioned... 90% of the plasterwork of the Detroit Opera House [[C. Howard Crane's 1921 designed/1922 opened Capitol Theatre) was replaced. Here's a pic of the Detroit Opera House auditorium [[from a 1998 MOT brochure cover) showing the newly restored procenium arch and above it the opulent and intricate geometric sounding board that gives the space its' marvelous acoustics.

Back in the 1990s [[according to Theatre Historical Society) no movie palace had been as badly damaged and then fully restored as the Capitol Theatre [[DOH). However, I do believe the UA is in worse condition than the Capitol was.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Gistok; September-28-09 at 01:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    Sorry, I lost the credits for this UA auditorium image taken when there were still holes in the roof. The drapes are from when they "didn't want to show all that old stuff anymore"... and hid the fancy organ grilles and missing procenium plasterwork.
    Gistok, I am not sure of the credits for the photo, but I think it may be Ryan Southen's, as I know he did a series of shots inside the UA.

The UA is being prepped for a future tenant. The tenant is government related.

That is all I got, but hey, you heard it here first.

Sweet, and hint as to where this information was acquired?

Quote Originally Posted by izzyindetroit View Post
    The UA is being prepped for a future tenant. The tenant is government related.

That is all I got, but hey, you heard it here first.

Stosh Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Doma View Post
    Sweet, and hint as to where this information was acquired?
    I'll bet it's the Ministry of Silly Walks. Or the new 20 million dollar leased home of the Detroit Pension Fund. One way to get the Wings a new arena huh?