Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Tanker Explodes

I've never thought that Cheryl Chodun came across with much integrity as a reporter. Back when Coleman Young was mayor she looked as if she was about to jump out of her skin with excitement anytime there was a negative story to report on him. It appeared that she took the strain relationship between Young and the media personally, but you can't let that show in your reporting

Once thing come as to question. How can truckers handle toxic chemicals in urban freeways? Surely we have a tanker explosion in Hazel Park and lives would be in stake.

I stopped to see the bridge and it really is a mess. The whole center section collapsed into the freeway, and the burned out shell of the Meijer semi is still laying there. The smell is absolutely noxious and traffic around the area is unusually thick.
    Last edited by Alley; July-16-09 at 04:20 PM.

....and traffic around the area is unusually thick
    maybe it's because gawkers keep driving over that way to see the downed bridge?

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Once thing come as to question. How can truckers handle toxic chemicals in urban freeways? Surely we have a tanker explosion in Hazel Park and lives would be in stake.

You really don't want to know what's being trucked along any major freeway. Bio-hazards [[medical waste), toxins, corrosives, concentrated pesticides, explosives, military ordinance, nuclear fuels and waste and just about anything else you can think of. Some of it is placarded with warning symbols and identifiers, but much of it isn't.

Have they shot any daylight footage yet today?

Headline News will be doing a segment shortly.

--------

Brief clip only. Nothing new.
    Last edited by Meddle; July-16-09 at 11:07 AM.

It sounds from the Free Press account like the real cause of the accident was someone going too fast though the dreaded 9 Mile curve. Always hated that stretch of road myself. Particularly running next to trucks through there, since due to the geometry of the corners you can end up getting a bit squeezed.

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
    Didn't they just "redo" that bridge? By redo, I mean, basically a paint job and sme band-aids. So, if the bridge is a loss, I assume it is insured right?
    Paint, concrete overlay, and some pier repair in '07/'08. The insurance for the at-fault party pays the repair bill.

The driver of a car that State Police say apparently triggered the tanker crash and explosion Wednesday night is a relative novice, according to the Michigan Secretary of State’s office.

Saied Haidarian-Shahri, 27, of Clawson, just got his license in May and is on probation as are all new drivers for six months, according to Secretary of State records. He had no traffic violations since obtaining his license.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009071...-in-I-75-wreck

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    maybe it's because gawkers keep driving over that way to see the downed bridge?
    If you were implying that I went to gawk at the disaster, I went to Kroger, which is directly next to the bridge.

All the businesses in that area have at least one of their entrances/exits blocked, everything is being rerouted along John R, and it was hell to deal with earlier.

...wonder how long this will take to fix..

I don't imagine it will be quick. DOT people said the bridge cannot be saved and will have to be rebuilt. I've heard that I-75 isn't opening any time soon, and people are hoping to get some kind of contract going tomorrow concerning wreckage removal, etc.
    These helicopters circling my house incessantly are starting to drive me nuts!

If they work 24 hrs a day like they did in Minneapolis or Oakland, I would guess at least a week for debris removal and basic repairs to get 75 open to traffic.

Then another month or two of intermittant closures for repaving, pier work, deck replacement and other permanant repairs.

I'd say October at the earliest.

Did they ever do anything with extending 275 up to Pontiac, or does it still end at 696? If not, 23 is really the only way around for through truck traffic.

I guess some of it could run 275 to 696 to 75, but don't they have restrictions on tankers and other hazardous loads under the parkway bridges on 696 through Southfield and Oak Park?
    Last edited by Meddle; July-16-09 at 04:52 PM.

so... is this an insensitive moment to mention how we really need better mass transit?

Saied Haidarian-Shahri must feel like an absolute shithead right about now.

"The insurance for the at-fault party pays the repair bill. "

I don't know what kind of insurance that guy has, but I don't think it would be even close to cover the bill. Plus, it might be a little hard to garnish his wages while he's sitting the in slammer for a couple of months. Plus, he's a student immigrant down at Wayne ... I don't see him rolling in cash at the moment.

These tanker roll overs used to happen quite often back in the late 70's. We had like one or two summers around here there were several. The Propane tanker that went off the ramp on I-94 and exploded. There was one that flipped and burned on the exact same curve as the most recent, the infamous 9 mile curve. If I remember correctly. There was one or two on I-94 near Telegraph. One or two summers there were large truck accidents everywhere. One of the reasons they tightened down on trucking and invoked the pre-trip inspections and CDL licenses.

I don't know what kind of insurance that guy has, but I don't think it would be even close to cover the bill. Plus, it might be a little hard to garnish his wages while he's sitting the in slammer for a couple of months. Plus, he's a student immigrant down at Wayne ... I don't see him rolling in cash at the moment.

Yeah I think most insurance caps out at 1 or 2 million dollars for property or something like that.... I haven't studied my policy in a good while [[now might be a good time). So he won't be able to cover all of that anyway.

Besides the fact he caused a shit load of damage etc he technically hasn't done anything more than most drivers who caused accidents, his just had a major impact . At most he would get what... a ticket for speeding or reckless driving. What else can you get him for? I doubt he serves any jail time just because his accident had a serious effect on others around etc especially since no one died.

Any traffic lawyers able to shed any light on this?

lilpup Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Baselinepunk View Post
    "The insurance for the at-fault party pays the repair bill."

How does that work with Michigan's no-fault insurance requirement?

The wreckless manner in which this novice driver initiated the accident is the arrogant attitude he displayed when interviewed on WJBK's newscast. No responsibility for initiating the chain of events that potentially could have been more devastating than what happened. The probationary status of his license should now be reviewed since his punishment is only a misdemeanor. I believe this to be a miracle in that no life was injured or lost.

Quote Originally Posted by lilpup View Post
    How does that work with Michigan's no-fault insurance requirement?
    He'd need to have PLPD to legally be driving. it'll pay 1 million out to cover property damage your car does to property of another.

the arrogant attitude he displayed when interviewed on WJBK's newscast. No responsibility for initiating the chain of events that potentially could have been more devastating than what happened.
    The question is; did he even have insurance? from his attitude on that interview, I'm going to guess "no".
    Last edited by bailey; July-17-09 at 02:14 PM.

http://www.freep.com/article/2009071...-reopen-Monday

I-75 could reopen as early as Monday after pavement inspections today found damage wasn’t as bad as feared after a scorching tanker crash this week that topped the 9 Mile Road overpass above the freeway.

Michigan Department of Transportation spokesman Rob Morosi said pavement inspectors took core samples of the pavement at its most damaged spots in both directions and determined that the freeway will not need a major rebuilding. Instead, a simpler, quicker resurfacing will do.

The state is aiming for a Monday reopening of all lanes in both directions “if everything goes as planned,” Morosi said this afternoon. “It has been an extremely fast turnaround” from earlier projections that repairs could take weeks.

Crews from Posen Construction of Shelby Township have been working round the clock since Thursday afternoon to remove debris and the part of the overpass that withstood the wreck and inferno Wednesday night.

Morosi said Posen crews will continue cleanup and then switch gears to resurfacing several hundred feet of the freeway in the area near 9 Mile with several inches of asphalt. MDOT had feared the fire might have required a more extensive, costly and lengthy repair.

The I-75 reopening could be delayed a day or two if there's bad weather or if contractors can't quickly provide enough asphalt that meets MDOT requirements for the project.

The 9 Mile overpass will be handled separately. Morosi said it could be Thanksgiving or later before the overpass is rebuilt.

Meanwhile, the posted main detour remains I-696, Woodward and 8 Mile in both directions. Traffic on that route has been heavy during peak hours, so drivers may consider other routes including the Lodge Freeway, Dequindre, John R or Van Dyke.

Great humor from my friend Dave Lee who lives nearby.
    Attachment 2347

Is it just me...I've never had problems keeping my car under control on the "infamous" 9 Mile curve...have been driving it for years, didn't realize I was whipping through Dead Man's Curve.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast