Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
Welcome to the board Tig3rzhark. As a freak-speaker, I'm going to guess you're somewhat young, under 30 perhaps. Nothing wrong there. We've all been young.

But it does seem that your rant, which I enjoyed, is informed by what, for the lack of a better word, I'm going to call "mythology." That, hey, we all want to work together, but the opponents of regionalism are in the city -- and they need to understand that that's not acceptable.

Well, it's partly true, but look at how you're positioning yourself. Are you asking any questions? Are you looking for somebody to help you understand why this is the case? If you were really looking for an enlightening discussion, why would you charge in here, post that the enemies of regionalism are in Detroit, and then gloss over the suburban cohort of that?

Yes, we need more regionalism. But it isn't done by taunting people in the city about their [[historically, as others have pointed out, quite understandable) distrust. It's done through dialogue. Try asking questions. You might learn a thing or two from the people who post here.
There's plenty of blame to go around as to why things are the way they are, from both sides of 8 mile.

As a lifetime Detroiter, I have always believed in the city motto "We Hope For Better Things; It Shall Rise From the Ashes".

This motto should be applied for the entire Metro Detroit area, especially in this current time.

When I ride my bike around metro Detroit, I see in both the city and suburbs empty buildings. When I catch the bus, I use SMART to catch the bus most of the time because DDOT doesn't have bike racks equipped on all of their buses. However, when I want to catch the SMART bus, I can't catch it within the city unless it is after 6pm or when I'm downtown.

Why is it that DDOT, although has stated that they would have bike racks on all of their buses this year, are taking their time, even after federal money was noted to be already allocated?

"The Detroit Department of Transportation is set to receive more than $500,000 in federal money to install bike racks on the fronts of all city buses." [[Detroit News, November 8, 2008)

Why is it that SMART buses will only stop in the city to drop off passengers but not pick up any that are at marked SMART stops within Detroit unless it is downtown or if it is at nighttime?

What's wrong with forming a regional transportation system for metro Detroit?