In November 2011, I got a lot of estimates for home improvements. Some I had done and others I filed. Decided to get one project done this fall and the company that originally quoted @2900 now wants $4200. That seems a bit extreme of an increase. Am I being cheap?

I also notice that many local area contractors don't want to work in Detroit. My money is as green as GPP, so what gives? I looked for other quotes and say Detroit, they say they are booked.

Actually I want two projects done. Might have a bite for re-roofing my garage. I shouldn't have to to beg for quotes. I don't waste peoples time but just want these two things done.

My home is in serious mint condition for 107 yrs old. I need my garage re-roofed and I want new fencing.

Oops forgot, I need a new water heater. Try to buy local, got a good price and I asked the price for delivery. $10 dollars but only if they install, that's $150. I guess I am just in sticker shock. We can install ourselves and got a local with a truck to pick up. This all just seems too complicated.