Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Default Charlevoix & Chene

I have long said this area was ripe for development. Now I see the area is being sectioned into lots. Saw a couple of people working over there today. They said new housing. Anybody have details?

I've always thought it was a nice area for redevelopment. The only questionis will they try to gentrify the area or make it mixed use?

EastSider Guest

Given the acres of near-prarie in that area, it's hard to see how any new building couldn't be considered "gentrifying."

But that only leads to the question, is gentrification bad for that area?

I think there is only one "house" left in that area. Most "mysteriously" caught on fire. Those "mysterious" fires have destroyed many old homes on the east side.

Ok I may have been thinkin about Van Dyke and Charlevoix and not Chene....

Gee. We must live in the same neighborhood, Jmil! I saw the lots being sectioned off, too and wondered what we can expect.

Where will the pheasants roam, now?

It's not a very large area, Jt and the surrounding areas are easonably dense.

I completely agree with your position, but this is an area where it truly makes sense - from an "urban aesthetic/development/planning" sort of way. In the meantime, I don't see an "economically practical" development if all they do is build houses - a who's buying right now, anyway, sorta thing.

Who knows? Maybe the lots are marked so that they can be identified for auction?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric_c View Post
    It's not a very large area, Jt and the surrounding areas are easonably dense.

I completely agree with your position, but this is an area where it truly makes sense - from an "urban aesthetic/development/planning" sort of way. In the meantime, I don't see an "economically practical" development if all they do is build houses - a who's buying right now, anyway, sorta thing.

Who knows? Maybe the lots are marked so that they can be identified for auction?
    Auction? Like in highest bidder? For a lot there? How about if you pay me I still wouldn't take it.

21 new homes will be built. Totally Green.
    They will run between $120-180,000. Appliances included.
    Federal Government is giving $60,000 in down payment money.
    Will only need to finance $60-120,000.

Saw workers digging foundations on my way back from lunch just now.

Where'd you get the specifics, Jmil? Is there a website?

I asked the people working there.
    He also stated that they will keep building as long as there are empty lots & the feds keeping kicking in.

crawford Guest

What is the logic of this? There's apparently a shortage of housing on the East Side of Detroit?

Might be the Hantz Group sectioning off city parcels for farming.

The activity is just East of Chene on Charlevoix, near the big multi-story brick building that was restored a few years ago. Not right at the corner, but between Jos. Campau and Chene.

Thank you Eric, because I was confused as to what part of Charlevoix & Chene was confusing Royce.

Ha!

Dick!

Thanks, Eric c for clearing that up.