Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Cider Mills

We go to Dexter, which is tiny, and in Dexter, but very lovely.

Took a girl to Blake's one year. Dear God. What the hell. We got in trouble for attempting to walk into the orchard [[you have to DRIVE into it). It was more like a sports bar than anything remotely close to nature. That is what the people out there like though.

Why can't Detroit have a Cider Mill or two. There's lots of vacant land all around. Tree Farms are planted so why not areas used for Cider Mills

Good point stasu, we had a macintosh tree in the back [[North of Osborn High) which put out only so-so apples. Then on year we sprayed the tree with orchard specific bug spray and water. It exploded, huge apples, worm free delicious, gave bagfuls away! That can work.

In case anyone missed this thread last year, Yates Cider Mill where the apples are still crushed by water power.
    https://www.detroityes.com/mb/showth...tes-Cider-Mill

Click image^ to for larger view to read historical maker.

Thanks Lowell,

Tubed through there during a storm surge and almost drowned. Saved the beer though.
    Last edited by Bigb23; November-25-18 at 01:33 PM.

The river bank of the Clinton River has failed just a little bit upstream of the dam that helps divert water to Yates. Some of the river's flow is now flowing in a new path that avoids the dam. If this continues, it may threaten their water supply.

This isn't anything terrible for nature, as rivers are constantly on the move.

The Clinton in that area was part of the proposed Clinton-Kalamazoo Canal back in the 1830; I believe it was one of the few parts that was completed. There is a marker by the river near Yates, I believe on Dequindre just before it turns toward the north.
    "The remains of the aqueduct built over the Clinton River can be seen in Yates Park, and two wood dams can be seen in the river in Canal Park and Bloomer Park. No locks are visible along the canal but the locations of a few are known"

Quote Originally Posted by sirrealone View Post
    So many of the other places have just turned into money grabs. My in-laws live near Long's and last time we went they charged for cups and refused to give napkins. Really sad.
    Long's was interesting for us this year. I grew up going to Long's for apple picking years ago, no cider, no doughnuts, no other trappings, just a you-pick apple orchard. We went to check it out last month. They had a line up to the building where I thought was the counter to get cider & doughnuts. Nope the counter was clear across to the other side of the back of the building. Once you got into the building there were stanchions set up to zig-zag you through the building to the counter. It looked like a line for a ride at Cedar Point.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2