Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say that it's suggesting Detroit is making a comeback. I don't really read into this announcement and make that claim; other projects are suggesting such things.

I mean, look at some of the other cities that are on the list: for one, Waterloo is categorically screwed now that Blackberry is on the downward spiral. But the others are essentially in a similar boat: they're all having an extremely difficult time finding and retaining tech talent, and Google has crafty plans to set up shop in each and market themselves as a "champion of the other guys".

In some sense, I kind of find it a little bit...babysitter-like. Google's almost saying to each of these hubs "hey, you're not like Boston, SF and NYC that can basically churn things out on their own. You need our help." In that regard, that should indicate that Detroit is definitely growing and making a change -- by finally accepting that they need outside help to make it a future destination for technology talent. That's a huge shift in mindset, especially since five months ago, you had local CEOs basically saying that Silicon Valley was a comparatively bad place to launch a startup: [[http://www.inc.com/francesca-fenzi/r...com+Headlines))
Detroit is making a comeback in a way that people are at least taking interest in set up smaller shops in Detroit. To the unemployed no the city is going down to tube. To potential investors and forecasters yes it is on the upswing. This is not going to be a one horse town any longer. I am glad that the storefronts along woodward are filling up little by little. I know that a total comeback is having safe unblighted neighborhoods with employed residents living in them.