You are right but, growing the population doesn't = increased GDP and in turn wealth.

http://www.theatlanticcities.com/job...c-growth/5860/

with that said, what we can do, is Number 1 Demolish all dangerous structures, of no historic significance.

2 any company who wants to build a new building should first be offered tax credits to redevelop an existing structure that may fit there needs

3. increase walk ability and beatification, by fixing main roads, planting simple low mainenance grasses in vacant lots, fixing sidewalks, adding bike lanes.

4. Following the DFC work on urban farming in those demonstration areas

5. Streetlights, [[number 1?)

6. Small business incubators outside downtown and midtown.First place I think of is some of the commercial space on 6 mile near U of D. redevelop and give space for cheap to entrepreneurs and help them get started, not just retail. start up companies as well

7. pair the start ups with renovated housing. entrepreneurs can be given vacant homes near the hubs for free, al they need to do is opay tax and renovate, talk tot he local banks on loans. 20k loan goes a long way on a Detroit house and the bank makes some money and the owner has a very small mortgage

8. Lower property tax and increase collection. lower the millage to something in a comparable community, but increase the collection effort. slumlords who dont pay should be prosecuted or sued in civil court. tie them up and kill them in court fees.

9. Choose a demonstration area for a new city within a city. Pick a neighborhood and rehab or build everything from scratch including the retail [[pie in the sky i know)

10. Pay neighborhood kids minimum wage to cut grass clean up trash. or dont pay them anything, but set up a college fund through U of D and WSU to get these HS kids super discounted tuition for hours they give to community service. Doesnt ahve to be just kids either, a laid off auto worker or a single mom would apply.

there just a few things I thought of