Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I think by far my biggest complaint about driving around Detroit -- and there's plenty to complain about, from bizarre traffic signals to outrageously unaware drivers -- are the "Mad Max" intersections, where three lanes enter, and only two leave. WB Grand Blvd crossing Woodward is a serious contender [[4 in, 3 out, but the same idea). NB Rosa Parks crossing the south service drive of 75 is probably the worst.
    Rosa Parks at Grand is kind of like that. Some intersections in Detroit just do not make any sense and seemed to have been planned out by someone who either didn't care, or was definitely in the wrong field.

its not any better when they plan it out in advance with signs and paint .

where woodward goes down to one/two lanes as you get closer to the roundabout.

if someone in the right or left lane spots that their lane ends, it turns into a drag race to cut in front of you. the 'racetrack' being only 3-4 car lengths long.

same with g blvd when it goes from divided highway to service drive near rosa parks.
    theres a huge lane of paint, but 90% of drivers in the service drive lane will gun it and cut you off instead of yielding.

i cant imagine trying to bike around the busy streets in detroit. i'd stick to the sidewalks. lots of open empty streets to bike on though.

Quote Originally Posted by gvidas View Post
    I think by far my biggest complaint about driving around Detroit -- and there's plenty to complain about, from bizarre traffic signals to outrageously unaware drivers -- are the "Mad Max" intersections, where three lanes enter, and only two leave. WB Grand Blvd crossing Woodward is a serious contender [[4 in, 3 out, but the same idea). NB Rosa Parks crossing the south service drive of 75 is probably the worst.
    8 Mile and Gratiot was really bad.

After re-paving the intersection a few years ago, the geniuses overseeing the project failed to put the lanes back within that center median of 8 Mile on Gratiot [[the part where traffic from eastbound 8 Mile would turn and stop to go on northbound Gratiot).

So every time I would cross 8 Mile going either direction on Gratiot, there would be some fool who was too stupid to follow their lane and cross over into another lane, nearly causing an accident. It doesn't help either that DDOT's service stop is right there by the Dunkin Donuts/Baskin-Robbins, essentially eliminating a lane.

Same thing would be the case when turning onto Gratiot from 8 Mile. It was an absolute clusterfuck as people would just get in where they fit in when turning instead of actually aligning with a lane.

Kercheval now has bike lanes from St. Jean to East Grand Blvd.
    Name:  Kercheval bike lanes.jpg
Views: 150
Size:  46.1 KB

As of yesterday, there's a bike lane along 7 Mile now from at least Schoenherr westbound.

Some poor soul was even trying to use it today.

A center median is also now in place on 7 Mile from Schoenherr to Gratiot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2