Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

lafayette received some new bike lanes a few weeks ago. its nice but i find people ignoring them and treating them like regular traffic lanes...

Quote Originally Posted by southen View Post
    lafayette received some new bike lanes a few weeks ago. its nice but i find people ignoring them and treating them like regular traffic lanes...
    Lafayette received some new bike lanes a few weeks ago. its nice but I find bikers ignoring them and treating regular traffic lanes like bike lanes.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Lafayette received some new bike lanes a few weeks ago. its nice but I find bikers ignoring them and treating regular traffic lanes like bike lanes.
    LOL, well you're right in some ways. Some car ignore the lanes and drive through and take over the bike lanes, they also park along them which give us no choice but to ride wherever fits. But soon people will notice more of these bike lanes and have to respect it or be ticketed. It's against the law to ride on the sidewalk so something has to be in place for safety reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    LOL, well you're right in some ways. Some car ignore the lanes and drive through and take over the bike lanes, they also park along them which give us no choice but to ride wherever fits. But soon people will notice more of these bike lanes and have to respect it or be ticketed. It's against the law to ride on the sidewalk so something has to be in place for safety reasons.
    Thanx for the info. I actually went to court for a trial when I was ticketed for riding in the street, [[Obstructing Traffic), and, with the help of a competent attorney, won. MI State law gives bikers the same rights as automobiles. That being said, I constantly run into bikers, [[NOT literally), that ignore the bike lanes, or aren't in the far right lane, and feel it's they're God-given right TO obstruct traffic. [[last Saturday's Tour De Troit was a classic example) Sharing the road means cooperation and respect from EVERYONE.

Quote Originally Posted by Honky Tonk View Post
    Thanx for the info. I actually went to court for a trial when I was ticketed for riding in the street, [[Obstructing Traffic), and, with the help of a competent attorney, won. MI State law gives bikers the same rights as automobiles. That being said, I constantly run into bikers, [[NOT literally), that ignore the bike lanes, or aren't in the far right lane, and feel it's they're God-given right TO obstruct traffic. [[last Saturday's Tour De Troit was a classic example) Sharing the road means cooperation and respect from EVERYONE.
    I am always seeing bikers who don't follow road rules. For example they go the wrong way down one-way streets, blow through red lights at relatively busy, but not super busy intersections, or do not yield [[this is the most craziest). Not every biker understands that sharing the road also means following the rules of the road. Yeah lots of drivers don't follow the rules either. I guess a lot of education and enforcement needs to happen in order for this to stop.

The Bernstien's are taking NYC to court due to bikers creating hazardous conditions in Central Park this week. At first I thought this was a frivolous lawsuit, but since they brought this to the forefront I have been watching bikers more, and as much as I hate to admit it, they have a point.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    I am always seeing bikers who don't follow road rules. For example they go the wrong way down one-way streets, blow through red lights at relatively busy, but not super busy intersections, or do not yield [[this is the most craziest). Not every biker understands that sharing the road also means following the rules of the road. Yeah lots of drivers don't follow the rules either. I guess a lot of education and enforcement needs to happen in order for this to stop.

The Bernstien's are taking NYC to court due to bikers creating hazardous conditions in Central Park this week. At first I thought this was a frivolous lawsuit, but since they brought this to the forefront I have been watching bikers more, and as much as I hate to admit it, they have a point.
    The only time I really get into the street is to do certain pain in the ass left turns. Notably Trumbull/Warren and Cass/Michigan. But beyond that initial left turn, always stay far right and always yield to traffic. Basically be a bike that acts as a car and you'll be safe, althought you might annoy the hell out of a few people.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...icle-1.1453331
    Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post

Idaho Stop Law needs to happen, for a start. Cars are expected to behave one way on public roads, and pedestrians another way [[walking against car traffic, for instance). Bicycles are a third thing. Our laws and infrastructure are catching up from a break in non-motorized planning that started somewhere in the 1930s-50s.

It's good to watch the bikes to count transgressions, but don't forget the cars. I would say roughly all of them drive over the speed limit, half don't use turn signals, and I'm guessing since bars have parking lots not all of them are sober. And then there's the changes in behavior since the dawn of the cellphone. Hoo ah.

I agree with Bernstein's lawsuit. That guy was riding like it was Tour de France in a mostly pedestrian area, where cyclists need to chill out. Definitely should be made an example of. Meanwhile in NYC, if you momentarily confuse hayfoot with strawfoot and hit five kids with an SUV, no big deal and walk away with a 'my bad'.

I am not one for conspiracy theory's but I think Mr. Gannon will like this one...Illich had been for years wanting to put the new Redwings stadium where it has since been proposed. making 3rd street @ 2 street away from one-way's to two-ways in the cass corridor makes ingress and egress easier to his stadium. Those streets worked ok for many years but confused the suburbanites getting downtown for events. Now it is easier. LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Rolfsy View Post
    I agree with Bernstein's lawsuit. That guy was riding like it was Tour de France in a mostly pedestrian area, where cyclists need to chill out. Definitely should be made an example of. Meanwhile in NYC, if you momentarily confuse hayfoot with strawfoot and hit five kids with an SUV, no big deal and walk away with a 'my bad'.
    Mr. Bernstein is welcome to launch a suit in his own back yard for the yahoos that use the eastern end of the Riverwalk for a velodrome. Something about those curves around Harbortown and the Coast Guard Station that they love to take at high speed, but their visibility around the corners is nil. I've had to dodge out of their way on multiple occasions.