Personally, I think it's stupid. Why make a person who does not give a shit donate time, if there is no caring, the work has no value.

My husband and I have scaled back big time on volunteer work, we care so much but health considerations are a factor. It's serious, we care for community and feel we owe something back. I guess we are entitlement folk now as we live on my husbands SSI. We do ok.

I think I would be pissed if someone said do community service, mandatory.

We sit on the board of our block club, our street association. active in Detroit Eviction Defense, founding members of a local Historical 501c3 society, Villages of Detroit, Creekside CDC, Warren Conner CDC, economic outreach through our church, JEBA and that's only naming a few.

Not embarrassed to say that we have also been the beneficiary of public and private programs. Most recent, I had a colonoscopy, [[sp) I have no health care and this procedure was done through DRs Who Care and grant monies from St John Health Care System.

I get, I give. It's just not something you can force on people. You feel it or you don't.