As to the work requirement for benefits.... if work needs to be done, how about just hiring them to do the freaking work?

I mean how about just cutting out the middle man?

Then they could revise the formula so that working at a minimum wage temp job gets you on a sliding scale for benefits instead of cut off completely.

Of course none of this actually addresses the problems of getting the terminally unemployed a job.
Spot on. Funny, that in a city strewn in trash and graffiti, with so much work that needs to be done - holding in its womb a high population of unemployed/underemployed people who are looking for something of substance to allow them upward mobility and a shot at responsibility - that nobody can figure the equation out.

It seems like a slam dunk.

ghettopalmetto
It's a vicious cycle, and these GOP bastards know it.
I don't see a lot of ideas here from the detractors who, through their silence, are implying that the system we have in place now has moved the needle. It's this cycle that is broken.

Probably one of the more level headed ideas to come from the right wing think tank I've seen of late.

Why not attach performance feedback to this work? It would create a performance based market for potential employers, and perhaps add motivation to the system [[or better yet _ the individuals themselves)