Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Wesley Mouch View Post
    Decisions aren't usually single-issue. I think you're probably right that they feel that funding something for the urban center isn't the best use of their tax dollars.
    I'm repeating what I heard from suburbanites at the time, but there may have been other issues at play.

The County does fund the St. Louis Zoo and I think some of the museums. However, I heard and read some comments from suburbanites who did not want to fund a transit system they never use.

This video is a Nashville. TN look at Cleveland's BRT

I am NOT a fan of the current proposed magic school busses here in the D. However living corpses like the ones at 1:35 are going to be a constant enemy to ANY transit improvement here. I hope that retread CEO the RTA hired is up to the task of overcoming them.

Also some folks are in favor of completely merging DDOT and SMART [[I'm not. Different communities have different often competing needs). A similar is being made in Chicago, a town with transit literally centuries ahead of ours.

The president of one of Chicago's operator's calls it foolish.

Capital improvement that might benefit the city heavily could be stalled because "the region" won't see the totality of improvements. The RTA is badly needed and has it's place with intercommunity operations.

Detroit transportation is starting from the absolute bottom. Let's keep from making the mistakes of other's on the way up.