Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Threaded View

48009 Guest

Default If you were 22-26 yo, would you move to Detroit RIGHT NOW? Why?

In my other thread, a user posted:

Detroit is going to come back like it or not. Younger people want to live and work in cities this is a nationwide trend. The days of buying a big house in the outer burbs are over few can afford that anymore,this shift toward walkable,bikable,transit cites will transform Detroit. The suburbs of Metro Detroit will become the new areas for those who cant afford to stay in Detroit.</span>
    The user is correct, college grads are moving to cities at a high clip. The problem for Detroit is that young people are moving to cities where hundreds of thousands of young college educated people like them already live, with countless bars and restaurants, safe nightlife, elite & competitive workforces, low unemployment rates. Detroit is more or less the complete opposite of all of those attributes. Remove your regional bias and ask yourself this question: why would someone 22-26 yo invest the prime of their life into a city that still requires so much work, when there are major cities just a few hours away that are already turn-key? Unless you don't have the option of working in Chicago, Indianapolis, San Francisco, DC, et al. I'm not sure why you'd sacrifice your prime to live in current Detroit. The perception Detroit is battling: Why would I be some billionaire investors' guinea pig in Detroit? They get rich, while I get to watch my friends on Facebook living it up in established hotspots?
    Last edited by 48009; September-08-13 at 06:44 PM.