Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    What don't you understand about current Detroit being the most desperate and sad major city in the country, with a reputation of being a cesspool around the WORLD? You're seriously delusional. If everything went perfect for the next decade it would still fall short of Indianapolis. With that said, nothing ever goes perfect in Detroit; too many clowns still running the show and most of the population is helpless.
    I have to say you're the first poster that I've ever seen on this forum be the troll in their own thread...

As for your stay in Michigan... one word comes to mind... Schadenfreude...

What don't you understand about current Detroit being the most desperate and sad major city in the country, with a reputation of being a cesspool around the WORLD?
    Only Midtown has a reputation for being a cesspool.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    I have to say you're the first poster that I've ever seen on this forum be the troll in their own thread...

As for your stay in Michigan... one word comes to mind... Schadenfreude...
    There's nothing wrong with supporting your city or finding nobility in "bringing it back." But when people have such distorted views of reality they need to be corrected. Everybody in the country who has read a newspaper or watched the news in the last year knows Detroit is ground zero for crime, ruins, illiteracy, corruption & poverty.
    Last edited by 48009; September-16-13 at 12:16 PM.

I find it hilarious that this quote:
    Everybody in the country who has read a newspaper or watched the news in the last year knows Detroit is ground zero for crime, ruins, illiteracy, corruption & poverty.
    is preceded by this one:

"when people have such distorted views of reality they need to be corrected. "

Yes, inferences made from newspaper and TV surely trump any kind of experience on a personal scale.

What don't you understand about current Detroit being the most desperate and sad major city in the country, with a reputation of being a cesspool around the WORLD? You're seriously delusional. If everything went perfect for the next decade it would still fall short of Indianapolis. With that said, nothing ever goes perfect in Detroit; too many clowns still running the show and most of the population is helpless.
    ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW? You don't think I see the news, drive down Woodward, talk to people, OF COURSE I EFFING DO. I know the problems Detroit faces. But unlike you, I and thousands of other people would like to see these changes so we do our parts, no matter how large or small, to help a make this city great again.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
    I find it hilarious that this quote:

is preceded by this one:

"when people have such distorted views of reality they need to be corrected. "

Yes, inferences made from newspaper and TV surely trump any kind of experience on a personal scale.
    The portrayal in the media is accurate.

There's nothing wrong with supporting your city or finding nobility in "bringing it back." But when people have such distorted views of reality they need to be corrected. Everybody in the country who has read a newspaper or watched the news in the last year knows Detroit is ground zero for crime, ruins, illiteracy, corruption & poverty.
    By "distorted views of reality", do you mean implying nobody 22-26 is moving to Detroit, and when finding out that demographic is, in fact, moving to Detroit, changing your argument to compare that stat to Chicago?

Just curious.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    ARE YOU EFFING KIDDING ME RIGHT NOW? You don't think I see the news, drive down Woodward, talk to people, OF COURSE I EFFING DO. I know the problems Detroit faces. But unlike you, I and thousands of other people would like to see these changes so we do our parts, no matter how large or small, to help a make this city great again.
    That's fantastic. But this thread isn't about people like you, it's about kids moving here after college. Why would a kid with employment options in Chicago, New York, Washington, San Francisco, Miami, Minneapolis, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh ever choose Detroit? First off, Chicago will not allow Detroit to ever become great, ever again. There's no guarantee the city will even become livable, let alone anytime soon. I question the aptitude of anyone who willingly moves to that environment with such better options on the menu.

Midtown is full, meaning there is more demand for housing than what is currently available. 900 sq ft lofts are being sold for $160k. They are building and renovating more and more apartments and lofts as we speak. People will move in. More people moving in means more people will want to live here. 24 businesses opened in Midtown in the last year, including WHole Foods. More businesses to come. Wayne state is building a new medical center. Tech Town is expanding. The new Hockey/entertainment distrcit between Downtown and Midtown. The light rail. All the renovation happening Downtown.

My advice: If you have any desire to live in a cool city, move here now while you can still get a good deal.

That's fantastic. But this thread isn't about people like you, it's about kids moving here after college. Why would a kid with employment options in Chicago, New York, Washington, San Francisco, Miami, Minneapolis, Indianapolis or Pittsburgh ever choose Detroit? First off, Chicago will not allow Detroit to ever become great, ever again. There's no guarantee the city will even become livable, let alone anytime soon. I question the aptitude of anyone who willingly moves to that environment with such better options on the menu.
    First off, Chicago has no power over whether Detroit becomes "great" again. This isn't a soap opera nor is it a competition to be the "best" city. In order to become "great" again, we need to be a functional city. No one here expects Detroit to grow to 2 million again. Detroiters just want basic city services and that very much is a feasible plan as long as finances are straightened up. It is going to take awhile, no one doubts that.

I'm not saying Detroit should be the next Chicago. Detroit needs to be a next Detroit. There's no reason why we can't be as functional as the other cities in the region.

First off, Chicago will not allow Detroit to ever become great, ever again. There's no guarantee the city will even become livable, let alone anytime soon. I question the aptitude of anyone who willingly moves to that environment with such better options on the menu.
    I have to strongly disagree with your first sentence here. Chicago really has no effect on the future of Detroit. I do agree with your second sentence that there is no guarantee that Detroit will ever be fixed [[though it might someday be). I did move to Detroit one week after graduation from college at age 22. After a while, the Army decided that I should place my soft, pink body betwixt my beloved country and the godless hordes of Communism. I just found that the Army life was more spiritually rewarding than the soul-crushing work in a downtown hi-rise office building and never went back to Detroit..

If I was 26 again I'd move to Ann Arbor and hit on all the rich college girls till I would get one to marry me then I would be set for life. Yeah I'd be a gold digger. Not too much gold to dig in the Cass Corridor.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    By "distorted views of reality", do you mean implying nobody 22-26 is moving to Detroit, and when finding out that demographic is, in fact, moving to Detroit, changing your argument to compare that stat to Chicago?

Just curious.
    You're being hyper-literal and annoying. Go start your own thread for the delusional cheerleaders.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    I have to strongly disagree with your first sentence here. Chicago really has no effect on the future of Detroit.
    Sorry, that's so very wrong. Even the success of Grand Rapids has an impact on Detroit. 56% of new Cook County [[Chicago) residents are from Michigan. The coasts and Chicago are stealing all of the college grads. Chicago completely dominates the Midwest. The tier 2 Midwest/rustbelt cities like Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh are far more promising than current Detroit. All of these cities are competition and they have their shit together. They will absolutely slow or even prevent Detroit from coming back.

I highly doubt Chicago or any other Great Lakes city is focusing on Detroit any more than what they read about in business magazines or what the media reports. I also highly doubt Chicago wants to see Detroit fail. If Southeast Michigan fails even Chicago would feel the affect because Illinois benefits from the Michigan college grads. More importantly, the Big 3 has several factories IN the city of Chicago as well as the State of Illinois.

I seriously doubt any of these States want to see Detroit fail and I'd bet they're hoping for a Detroit comeback. Most people understand that no one is immune to what Detroit is going through. They're just trying not to become what Detroit has become.

Gosh, noise! Stop being so annoying! Get off my thread if you don't agree with me, I'm always right!

And then I love how she called you annoying...

You're being hyper-literal and annoying. Go start your own thread for the delusional cheerleaders.
    I think the problem is your bi-polar style of trying to argue. You're bouncing every which way and having trouble making one cohesive point.

It's probably because you aren't listening to the replies.

If you were, you'd see I am far from a cheerleader for Detroit.

If you were, you wouldn't keep asking why 22-26 year olds would move to Detroit after multiple 22-26 year olds have answered your question.

But then, if you were, you wouldn't be trolling so hard.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Gosh, noise! Stop being so annoying! Get off my thread if you don't agree with me, I'm always right!

And then I love how she called you annoying...
    It's true. How dare I take "distorted views of reality" so literally? Obviously it wasn't a misguided criticism of other posters! It was just a turn of phrase that had nothing to do with anyone here!

Sorry, that's so very wrong. Even the success of Grand Rapids has an impact on Detroit. 56% of new Cook County [[Chicago) residents are from Michigan. The coasts and Chicago are stealing all of the college grads. Chicago completely dominates the Midwest. The tier 2 Midwest/rustbelt cities like Minneapolis, Indianapolis and Pittsburgh are far more promising than current Detroit. All of these cities are competition and they have their shit together. They will absolutely slow or even prevent Detroit from coming back.
    J-O-B-S!!! Regardless of how cool or hip 22-26 year olds might think a city or region is, if there are jobs or money to be made, people will flock there. All of those southern blacks and whites that moved to Detroit in the 40s and 50s didn't do so because Detroit was cool or hip or where there was a delightful climate and beaches. They moved here for one reason and one reason only JOBS and the resultant money.

Sorry, that's so very wrong. Even the success of Grand Rapids has an impact on Detroit. 56% of new Cook County [[Chicago) residents are from Michigan.
    I am getting used to the idea that when you use a statistic, chances are there is something wrong with it, assuming you haven't made it up. In this case, you didn't make it up, but you didn't understand it. That 56% number is the percentage of people migrating from Michigan to Illinois who move to Cook County, which is plausible. It is not the percentage of people moving to Cook County who are from Michigan, which is not.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    I am getting used to the idea that when you use a statistic, chances are there is something wrong with it, assuming you haven't made it up. In this case, you didn't make it up, but you didn't understand it. That 56% number is the percentage of people migrating from Michigan to Illinois who move to Cook County, which is plausible. It is not the percentage of people moving to Cook County who are from Michigan, which is not.
    Maybe she's getting an MFA, or something.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Study: 56 Percent of New Cook County Residents Come From Michigan

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward...#ixzz2f9rmj86q
    Last edited by 48009; September-17-13 at 09:03 AM.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    J-O-B-S!!! Regardless of how cool or hip 22-26 year olds might think a city or region is, if there are jobs or money to be made, people will flock there. All of those southern blacks and whites that moved to Detroit in the 40s and 50s didn't do so because Detroit was cool or hip or where there was a delightful climate and beaches. They moved here for one reason and one reason only JOBS and the resultant money.
    False. There are plenty of J-O-B-S in North Dakota, nobody I know lives there. To infer that kids are moving to Chicago because they can't get a job in state is off the mark. If a kid can work in a hyper-competitve market like DC, NYC, Chicago, et al. they are more than qualified for something in-state. There are plenty of jobs avail for my demo in Metro Detroit NOW, and we're all turning them down because you literally can't pay most of us enough to spend our 20's here. http://www.freep.com/article/2013091...l-assault-rape
    Last edited by 48009; September-17-13 at 09:06 AM.

Study: 56 Percent of New Cook County Residents Come From Michigan

Source: http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward...#ixzz2f9rmj86q

Well that's understandable, since the source is just wrong. If you read the actual data, you'll see that NBC Chicago's blog is just awful at reading statistics.
    http://michiganeconomy.chicagofedblogs.org/?p=377

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Spartan View Post
    Well that's understandable, since the source is just wrong. If you read the actual data, you'll see that NBC Chicago's blog is just awful at reading statistics.http://michiganeconomy.chicagofedblogs.org/?p=377
    I saw that, but I just posted where I got it. Honestly, does it really matter? It's not some secret that Michigan kids get their college diploma and immediately get 1-way tickets out of state. Detroiters clinging to the dumbest data. 200 people a year moved here! Great, let's just ignore that you and Flint are the biggest tragedies in the nation.
    Last edited by 48009; September-17-13 at 09:14 AM.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast