Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by 48009 View Post
    When you're bored out of your mind in Michigan, and see all of your friends having fun in cooler cities than Detroit, you fly to see them. Assuming you have the means. Detroit and Michigan in general is currently considered a death sentence for 20-somethings around the nation. Most of them wouldn't take a pay INCREASE to move here, even with the cheaper cost of living. This is a real issue.
    It sounds like you're not even close to your 20s, nor know what 20-somethings want.

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    It sounds like you're not even close to your 20s, nor know what 20-somethings want.
    Thank you.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by noise View Post
    Um, OK. You're delusional. It's a fact that to people across the nation, Detroit is a professional death sentence. Nobody wants to be here. Most are either stuck here, don't know any better or are too scared to move. Conning 20-somethings that had nothing to do with ruining this town, to live in this warzone and help "bring it back" is the biggest scam going.
    Last edited by 48009; September-10-13 at 08:25 PM.

Um, OK. You're delusional. It's a fact that to people across the nation, Detroit is a professional death sentence. Nobody wants to be here. Most are either stuck here, don't know any better or are too scared to move. Conning 20-somethings that had nothing to do with ruining this town, to live in this warzone and help "bring it back" is the biggest scam going.
    OK... this paragraph pretty much sums up your credibility here...

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gistok View Post
    OK... this paragraph pretty much sums up your credibility here...
    Sorry I don't think 20-somethings who didn't ruin this place should be conned into squandering the prime of their life in a city that currently can't offer a fraction of the amenities other large cities in the region offer. Nor should they feel guilty for leaving this place and never looking back. You may disagree with me, and that's fine; but there's no need to target credibility or dismiss opinions just because they differ from yours. That's what makes debate interesting.
    Last edited by 48009; September-10-13 at 09:42 PM.

It's a fact that to people across the nation, Detroit is a professional death sentence...Conning 20-somethings that had nothing to do with ruining this town, to live in this warzone and help "bring it back" is the biggest scam going.
    I disagree with your first sentence. The conversations I've had with New Yorkers about my time living in Detroit has been extremely vibrant and engaging, especially in professional settings. If anything, I'd say that my short-term experiment living in Detroit has provoked an incredible amount of discussion around the city's future. The novelty of moving to a distressed city provides a heap of positive returns for someone that moves away to other cities seeking employment.

[[Note: I realize that my above comments probably evokes a visceral reaction within a lot of lifelong Detroiters, but I think it's important to understand how those that are emotionally and financially detached from Detroit perceive those that are fully attached -- or used to be.)

Your latter statement, 48009...that requires a whole lot more digging. If anything, I'd love to see the Gilbert/Venture for America/Challenge Detroit crew get together and figure out what exactly they're trying to accomplish through their heightened sense of attention toward young professionals. If they're under the unified impression that they're out to rescue the city from itself and its past transgressions...then, yeah, a recalibration is in order.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by michimoby View Post
    I disagree with your first sentence. The conversations I've had with New Yorkers about my time living in Detroit has been extremely vibrant and engaging, especially in professional settings. If anything, I'd say that my short-term experiment living in Detroit has provoked an incredible amount of discussion around the city's future. The novelty of moving to a distressed city provides a heap of positive returns for someone that moves away to other cities seeking employment.

[[Note: I realize that my above comments probably evokes a visceral reaction within a lot of lifelong Detroiters, but I think it's important to understand how those that are emotionally and financially detached from Detroit perceive those that are fully attached -- or used to be.)

Your latter statement, 48009...that requires a whole lot more digging. If anything, I'd love to see the Gilbert/Venture for America/Challenge Detroit crew get together and figure out what exactly they're trying to accomplish through their heightened sense of attention toward young professionals. If they're under the unified impression that they're out to rescue the city from itself and its past transgressions...then, yeah, a recalibration is in order.
    Fascination is one thing, getting people to move here is another story.

Living in Detroit when you have other options on the menu is a sacrifice. Again, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. I simply struggle with why someone that has alternatives would even bother.
    Last edited by 48009; September-11-13 at 09:26 AM.

I simply struggle with why someone that has alternatives would even bother.
    Because sometimes people prefer the challenge than the easy way out.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    Because sometimes people prefer the challenge than the easy way out.
    Interesting. Define challenge in this context, please.

Interesting. Define challenge in this context, please.
    They want to rebuild and redefine a city. You can't do that in NYC or Chicago or LA. And that takes a lot of work, considering the condition the city is in.

Living in Detroit when you have other options on the menu is a sacrifice. Again, that's not an opinion, that's a fact. I simply struggle with why someone that has alternatives would even bother.

My roommate and I recently interviewed 10+ people to move in to our extra room at our place in Woodbridge. Out of those roughly 10 people, only 2 were from the Metro Detroit area. Saying no one wants to move here from out of state, saying it is a death sentence, etc is just flat out wrong. It might be a death sentence for an old fart from Birmingham such as yourself, but not for someone in their 20s-30s.

You seriously need to stop posting about your unabashed hate for Detroit. It is a tired old schtick that we have all heard for years and years and years, especially those of us who moved from the suburbs to Detroit. Its old, you're old, Birmingham is old, get over it. Things are changing.

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post
    My roommate and I recently interviewed 10+ people to move in to our extra room at our place in Woodbridge. Out of those roughly 10 people, only 2 were from the Metro Detroit area. Saying no one wants to move here from out of state, saying it is a death sentence, etc is just flat out wrong. It might be a death sentence for an old fart from Birmingham such as yourself, but not for someone in their 20s-30s.
    ...but I thought the perk of living in Detroit was not needing roomates? j/k

Yes, he's being overly general and all that "death sentence" stuff is pure bullshit.

The issue is given the Chicago/"real city" vs Detroit ..MOST, not all, but a huge amount of the state's next generation are leaving. 56% of new Cook County residents are from Michigan... and most of them are products of the Michgan's taxpayer's largess through public universities. http://www.nbcchicago.com/blogs/ward...210079901.html

Illinois is reaping the advantages of a world-class education system without paying for it. The University of Michigan, a legacy of the state’s days as an industrial powerhouse, is ranked 29th on U.S. News and World Report’s list of national universities. The University of Illinois is 46th. Because Chicago is a more attractive labor market than Detroit, Illinois is poaching a higher caliber of college graduate than it produces on its own. [[The University of Chicago is ranked 4th and Northwestern is ranked 12th, but both are private universities.)
    The free ride won’t last forever, though. As Michigan becomes poorer and less educated, it won’t be able to attract the same quality of professors or maintain its universities’ educational standards. Someday, a degree from Illinois will mean more than a degree from Michigan. Michiganders will still be moving to Chicago -- but they may not be getting the jobs that pay for condos in expensive neighborhoods.

The issue is how do we keep the college grads here. I say it has to do with massive investment in infrastructure to make Detroit the core city it's supposed to be. However, we're getting parking shuttle trolley and a soon to be had fire sale at the DIA. So.... I doubt it.

Last edited by bailey; September-11-13 at 10:28 AM.

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by motz View Post

You seriously need to stop posting about your unabashed hate for Detroit. It is a tired old schtick that we have all heard for years and years and years, especially those of us who moved from the suburbs to Detroit. Its old, you're old, Birmingham is old, get over it. Things are changing.
    I'm a "20-something" graduate student from Chicago living in Birmingham but O.K., slugger.

I'm a "20-something" graduate student from Chicago living in Birmingham but O.K., slugger.
    THIS EXPLAINS EVERYTHING. 1) You're from Chicago[[land) which already means you have a chip on your shoulder and think you are God's gift to the Midwest. And 2) You live in Birmingham, which means you're probably from the north shore or Elmhurst or Palatine because if you were from the city you could probably handle living in Detroit or at least see that Detroit has great potential and not have this attitude you have.

Which graduate school accepts an illiterate with no ability to craft a clear, accurate argument?

Living in Detroit when you have other options on the menu is a sacrifice. Again, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.
    Actually, that is an opinion, not a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by mwilbert View Post
    Originally Posted by 48009

Living in Detroit when you have other options on the menu is a sacrifice. Again, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.

Actually, that is an opinion, not a fact.
    Actually, it's a pretty close to fact....

Despite the increase in job openings in Michigan, many employers continue to experience difficulty in trying to persuade workers to accept positions there because of the state’s reputation for having a challenging labor market environment.
    http://michiganeconomy.chicagofedblogs.org/?p=377

48009 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by bailey View Post
    Actually, it's a pretty close to fact....

http://michiganeconomy.chicagofedblogs.org/?p=377
    How dare you post facts on here that confirm what anyone with a brain or a few thousand frequent flier miles already knows?

And you keep ignoring facts.

It is happening and it's working for many people. How do you answer that?

Most are either stuck here, don't know any better or are too scared to move.
    'Cause obviously you know better and feel the need to chastise those who want to make Detroit a better city. I don't think what some 20 and 30-somethings are doing by moving into the city is squandering their prime. Yes, they aren't the reason why Detroit is in its present condition, but the generations that did are either literally dying off, like the grandparents that left, or don't have the motivation young people do because they are working or retiring, i.e. the baby boomers. It really is up to the Gen XYZ/The Millennials to do something about Detroit because we are becoming the next leaders.

And prices in Midtown and downtown are rising because they are becoming more DESIRABLE places to live.

skipped as promised