Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Believer1 View Post
    Who in God's name would want a street car in the middle of the road?
    People familiar with functioning light rail systems.

You err in thinking that just because someone thinks that the currently planned alignment is stupid [[me, for instance), they oppose the M-1. On the contrary, I'm looking forward to it and I think it will be a substantial improvement in that portion of the Woodward corridor. Just not as much of an improvement as it should have been.

I was walking up woodward and seen three utility trucks parked. I was curious to ask the workers, which was part of M-1 pre-construction work. "They're updating the utility along Woodward, official construction won't start til December 2013 ...assuming, said one of the workers."

I'm excited but weary that the ground breaking hasn't started but little work is in progress, they even updated the website. www.M-1rail.com

Although I think M1 rail is far from perfect [[defined as how I would personally design it), I think it will be nice and useful even as it is designed. And I have come around to supporting the "forking" of the line into curbside towards downtown and center-running further uptown. It makes some sense. Downtown, whose stops will be presumably more heavily used, can't have that many people crossing through traffic to get to the median. I just PRAY that they integrate the PM, DDOT buses, SMART buses [[or whatever our regionalized bus system becomes) into the M1 rail stations. Easy transferability [[including a metro-card or fast swipe system) that can be used on everything. I hope they work out those details. Oh, and there should be ample garage parking near all the stops north of 375.

Quote Originally Posted by gthomas View Post
    I was walking up woodward and seen three utility trucks parked. I was curious to ask the workers, which was part of M-1 pre-construction work. "They're updating the utility along Woodward, official construction won't start til December 2013 ...assuming, said one of the workers."

I'm excited but weary that the ground breaking hasn't started but little work is in progress, they even updated the website. www.M-1rail.com
    First, construction was set to begin in late summer, then by fall, now December. I had said over and over that I will not believe that we are going to have light rail until the shovel is dug into the ground. I don't think it will happen. The date keep get pushing back. More studying and discussions proves my point that there will be roadblocks that will stall this project. The Dequindre Cut's expansion had started sooner than this rail project. Everyone keep falling for the banana in the tailpipe. I don't believe that the repavement of Woodward is the responsibility of the county and not the city as cityplanner had claimed. I am not saying that Gilbert and his cronies are stalling the project but others who are working behind the scene are. I could pretend to be happy that this light rail will start soon.

I saw a Macy's truck downtown Saturday. I am sure it was delivering furniture and not for Macy's to open downtown. I would not be surprise if Macys would open on Woodward before lightrail will start running down it

Quote Originally Posted by stasu1213 View Post
    First, construction was set to begin in late summer, then by fall, now December. I had said over and over that I will not believe that we are going to have light rail until the shovel is dug into the ground. I don't think it will happen. The date keep get pushing back. More studying and discussions proves my point that there will be roadblocks that will stall this project. The Dequindre Cut's expansion had started sooner than this rail project. Everyone keep falling for the banana in the tailpipe. I don't believe that the repavement of Woodward is the responsibility of the county and not the city as cityplanner had claimed. I am not saying that Gilbert and his cronies are stalling the project but others who are working behind the scene are. I could pretend to be happy that this light rail will start soon.
    Even though there are pre-construction utility workers? Even though the Thanksgiving Day Parade was moved further because of M-1 construction? Yes, the shovel isn't in the ground, but it's basically in position, this is further than any real transit project that's been discussed.

The delays that have occurred seem to be for specific reasons, not a lack of momentum. And what else makes M1 different? People have ponied a lot of real money, not phantom pledges for future investments and fundraising. And while I am no engineer, I would suspect that the DQ expansion is faster because clearing a path is a helluva lot faster and cheaper than designing and installing a light rail system into an existing and much used urban roadway. Last source of optimism? ​It's not being run by the city!

I saw a Macy's truck downtown Saturday. I am sure it was delivering furniture and not for Macy's to open downtown. I would not be surprise if Macys would open on Woodward before lightrail will start running down it
    I'll take that bet!

Woodward is a state road, not a City or County one. The M-1 project is being administered by the State.

I'm assuming that the ground-breaking ceremony won't be until Nov 2013, with construction following a month later. Isn't it more difficult to do road work in winter months, especially Michigan winter season? Why not have started in summer as originally planned, including repaving Woodward? I'm ready to see visual signs of construction, why are all these studies and forum meetings needed? BUILD THE DAMN THING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

why are all these studies and forum meetings needed? BUILD THE DAMN THING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!
    G, I am also anxious for it to get done already. But do you have any idea how many different laws and regulations apply to a project of this size? Detroit's first food truck took SIXTY trips to city hall to get the licensing worked out. For a food truck. This is a tad bit bigger than a food truck. City of Detroit, Wayne County, State of Michigan, US Government [[including EPA & Trans Dept), and assorted private people and organizations are involved in every decision.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeyinBrooklyn View Post
    G, I am also anxious for it to get done already. But do you have any idea how many different laws and regulations apply to a project of this size? Detroit's first food truck took SIXTY trips to city hall to get the licensing worked out. For a food truck. This is a tad bit bigger than a food truck. City of Detroit, Wayne County, State of Michigan, US Government [[including EPA & Trans Dept), and assorted private people and organizations are involved in every decision.
    That should had been taken care of before the announcement were made that shovels would be in the ground by late summer. I still wont be convinced until I see a shovel in the ground this year. If not, then it was all smoke and mirrors. Road work need to be done to Woodward badly. The parade could be pushed back just for regular repaving of Woodward frm the Fox to Grand Blvd. That doesn't convince me that it is being done for the light rail project

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitPlanner View Post
    Woodward is a state road, not a City or County one. The M-1 project is being administered by the State.
    If this is the case than Snyder need to be ashame for allowing Woodward to to deteriorate to pothole alley. The light rail is going to be next to the curb. The middle of the street should had been repaved. The nerd doesn't know what the hell he is doing

If this is the case than Snyder need to be ashame for allowing Woodward to to deteriorate to pothole alley. The light rail is going to be next to the curb. The middle of the street should had been repaved. The nerd doesn't know what the hell he is doing
    Not sure about that. Some state numbered highways get local [[county or city) maintenance. Years ago, my grandfather was complaining to the state highway trolls about the maintenance of M-150 in front of his house. The state guys said he needed to talk to the Oakland County Road Commission folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Hermod View Post
    Not sure about that. Some state numbered highways get local [[county or city) maintenance. Years ago, my grandfather was complaining to the state highway trolls about the maintenance of M-150 in front of his house. The state guys said he needed to talk to the Oakland County Road Commission folks.
    I am pretty sure there are only a handful of homes that front M-150. It may be Rochester Road where grandpa lives. M-150 is quite short and is only from M-59 to Teinken. Outside of about 3 miles it is all county road.

M-1 is not going to need repaving. It will be reconstructed. There is a big difference in cost, scope and time needed. You don't want to run a new train on a bad base.
    Last edited by DetroitPlanner; October-07-13 at 09:52 PM.

One minor correction--Woodward is owned by the city between Jefferson and Adams.

The phase 1 of construction include a complete shutdown of Detroit's section between Larned and Adams.

Phase 2 will start construction on MDOT's portion of the corridor.

I am pretty sure there are only a handful of homes that front M-150. It may be Rochester Road where grandpa lives. M-150 is quite short and is only from M-59 to Teinken. Outside of about 3 miles it is all county road.
    Now that's so, but M-150 used to be a good bit longer. It was truncated some years back. Not sure exactly when, nor why.

M-1 is not going to need repaving. It will be reconstructed. There is a big difference in cost, scope and time needed. You don't want to run a new train on a bad base.
    At the time [[1950s) M-150 ran out to Lakeville.

Quote Originally Posted by professorscott View Post
    Now that's so, but M-150 used to be a good bit longer. It was truncated some years back. Not sure exactly when, nor why.
    Portions were turned over to local control in 1963, 1965, and 1982.
    http://michiganhighways.org/listings...ys140-159.html

Quote Originally Posted by RO_Resident View Post
    One minor correction--Woodward is owned by the city between Jefferson and Adams.

The phase 1 of construction include a complete shutdown of Detroit's section between Larned and Adams.

Phase 2 will start construction on MDOT's portion of the corridor.
    This is correct. And to continue this statement, the MDOT portion of the corridor is a complete rebuild that has been funded for several [[5) years but has been on hold while they wait for final design [[or word that its cancelled) of the rail project. The rebuild will be from edge to edge of the right-of-way, sidewalks and everything. Just like the portion north of New Center was rebuilt in the last several years. It's going to be a giant headache, but it would have been with or without the rail... in this case it is a good example of productive communication and coordination - not always abundant when government is involved.

Repaving Woodward is the responsibility of the State of Michigan, as with the other trunk lines. The assholes need to fix it or give up the authority over it. They are the idiots that decided to stretch MI avenue to 9 damn lanes, when I 94 was being built...dumb

On to the light rail, it is definitely happening, they have begun the business owner survey process. I do agree that it is being delayed. Dont know why, unless the tiger grant has fallen through, but I think they pushed that hard during the meeting with the feds.

First, construction was set to begin in late summer, then by fall, now December. I had said over and over that I will not believe that we are going to have light rail until the shovel is dug into the ground. I don't think it will happen. The date keep get pushing back. More studying and discussions proves my point that there will be roadblocks that will stall this project. The Dequindre Cut's expansion had started sooner than this rail project. Everyone keep falling for the banana in the tailpipe. I don't believe that the re pavement of Woodward is the responsibility of the county and not the city as cityplanner had claimed. I am not saying that Gilbert and his cronies are stalling the project but others who are working behind the scene are. I could pretend to be happy that this light rail will start soon.

I'm assuming that the ground-breaking ceremony won't be until Nov 2013, with construction following a month later. Isn't it more difficult to do road work in winter months, especially Michigan winter season? Why not have started in summer as originally planned, including repaving Woodward? I'm ready to see visual signs of construction, why are all these studies and forum meetings needed? BUILD THE DAMN THING FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

If they are smart the Ceremony would be during the Thanksgiving parade so all of metro Detroit can see. Showcase all the new buildings by DG and show Bing, Gilbert the new mayor and others putting a shovel in the ground.

market that shit

Quote Originally Posted by cramerro View Post
    in this case it is a good example of productive communication and coordination - not always abundant when government is involved.

Usual government procedure is to complete the rebuild and repaving of a road then rip it up six months later for underground utility work.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    Repaving Woodward is the responsibility of the State of Michigan, as with the other trunk lines. The assholes need to fix it or give up the authority over it. They are the idiots that decided to stretch MI avenue to 9 damn lanes, when I 94 was being built...dumb

On to the light rail, it is definitely happening, they have begun the business owner survey process. I do agree that it is being delayed. Dont know why, unless the tiger grant has fallen through, but I think they pushed that hard during the meeting with the feds.
    MDOT will be rebuilding Woodward as well as constructing the trolley [[they do not use the term light rail to describe the project). Remember as owner MDOT has a lot of say on what goes on their property and also controls things such as the sidewalks and traffic signals which will both be upgraded with a streetscape through 'mid-town' and with technology that talks to the trains to give them priority.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytheory View Post
    If they are smart the Ceremony would be during the Thanksgiving parade so all of metro Detroit can see. Showcase all the new buildings by DG and show Bing, Gilbert the new mayor and others putting a shovel in the ground.

market that shit
    What the heck is DG? Is Dollar General opening a store!?!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast