Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    Yeah, uh, no. I don't have to accept it. And I have no use for it. And it strains my credibility that people are lining up for People Mover II, and thanking the people paying to build it, even though they then have to run it.
    I hate that. PM2. The People Mover goes IN A CIRCLE LIKE A CHRISTMAS TRAIN. It doesn't go anywhere! Around and around it goes. M1 at least GOES places. Riverfront, Campus Martius, Fox Theatre/Stadiums, Wayne State, Museums, Amtrak, Fisher Theatre. And all the restaurants and any shops along the way. Those are places people living or visiting down there like to go. People staying in a downtown hotel can go, without a car, to the DIA or the historical museum. Something they couldn't do before.

PM technology was always shoddy technology that few people wanted to invest in. Most streetcar and light rail technology are modern, with many companies building cars and cables and updating them often.

It seems many people here have this disdain for private enterprise wanting to help build something the public sector usually does. Hey, I'm a liberal not ashamed to admit it, but when the public sector can't do a job that needs to be done, then why not let, in this case, these business guys come in. Thank you Dan Gilbert and Roger Penske for investing in something Detroit does need. Then, yes, once the city is on its feet it will be more than willing to run and upkeep it.

People Mover doesn't take you anywhere you can't walk in 15 minutes. This new system is different: It doesn't take you anywhere you can't drive in five minutes. In fact, the tremendous amount of stops [[all ensured by the private backing) mean it will be a bottleneck in any future mass transit system it is a part of.

So you're right. The People Mover used shoddy, boutique, expensive technology to go in a circle.

M1 light rail will use standard technology in a way that most transit planners think is stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    It seems many people here have this disdain for private enterprise wanting to help build something the public sector usually does. Hey, I'm a liberal not ashamed to admit it, but when the public sector can't do a job that needs to be done, then why not let, in this case, these business guys come in. Thank you Dan Gilbert and Roger Penske for investing in something Detroit does need. Then, yes, once the city is on its feet it will be more than willing to run and upkeep it.
    No, I have no disdain for rich people. I have disdain for people who use the means at their disposal to distort the democratic process and good planning.

Plus, as far as I know, these titans of business aren't planning to pay to RUN the system. They're just paying for most of the construction, with taxes from Washington kicked in as well. So, if they're not going to pay to run the system, why shouldn't the people [[WHO WANTED A CENTER-RUNNING SYSTEM) have some say?

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    People Mover doesn't take you anywhere you can't walk in 15 minutes. This new system is different: It doesn't take you anywhere you can't drive in five minutes. In fact, the tremendous amount of stops [[all ensured by the private backing) mean it will be a bottleneck in any future mass transit system it is a part of.
    If you can drive from Grand Blvd to Campus Martius in 5 minutes, I think you may be breaking a few laws.

Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    If you can drive from Grand Blvd to Campus Martius in 5 minutes, I think you may be breaking a few laws.
    Haha. Point taken.

But that's what we're trying to do. Creating an urban environment where a car isn't needed.

And go ahead and pick on Gilbert. But they're all taking initiative on something that he doesn't have to.

Another perspective on where to put light rail when it runs in a street, talking about the current DC project:

http://urbanplacesandspaces.blogspot...cement-of.html

By the way, M1 Rail is not by any means rapid transit, nor is it meant to be. It's a connector between two areas of the City that are doing pretty well. Everyone agrees that rapid transit is something else entirely. As others have said, it makes it pleasanter to live in the area car-free, or to visit several places in Detroit and only have to park your car one time.

It's not what it's not, but it is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by dtowncitylover View Post
    No one is expressing disdain for private enterprise wanting to invest in infrastructure [[Where the City and State can't or won't.).

The disdain arises because Roger Penske and Dan Gilbert don't know the limits of their expertise. Do you think Roger Penske is ever going to ride this thing?