Michigan Central Restored and Opening
RESTORED MICHIGAN CENTRAL DEPOT OPENS »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Detroitnerd View Post
    It's sad, too, because light rail has been a huge success story in U.S. cities for the last decade.

But Penske and Gilbert don't understand urban planning. And what they're creating is a parking shuttle, not a rapid transit system. One we'll be on the hook to pay for, just like the People Mover.

People say don't make the perfect the enemy of the good. Only thing is, this "system" isn't really that good at all. It's there for the prestige of the funders, not for the public that needs mass transit.
    some of the more successful "new" rail transit systems started out just like M-1 Rail, linking two vibrant areas, and they grew from there

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    some of the more successful "new" rail transit systems started out just like M-1 Rail, linking two vibrant areas, and they grew from there
    If it has so many stops that it is not as fast as a car, it's not rapid transit.

What really irritates me is, you know, this isn't "rocket surgery." Transit planners know center-running light rail with few stops works. It works wonders. They put the proposals before the public and they knew. They chose center-running. Even the people defending the plan essentially say, yes, it's not the best plan we could have. Well? We're going to be stuck paying for it. So if we're going to be stuck paying for it, why not have the best plan possible?

Oh, no ... something or other about resenting rich people, or not making the perfect the enemy of the good, or something about how really great systems sprang from such absurd origins... pfffftt ...

Quote Originally Posted by rb336 View Post
    Don't quote me, but there are several cities where a small light rail system between two vibrant rail systems was initially put in, and from there the surrounding neighborhoods started clamoring to become the next leg of the light rail. I don't think the system is ideal, but as someone who lives in Woodbridge and often times is in Midtown, I could see this being of a big use to me. I love going downtown, but often times don't feel like biking and honestly hate taking my car down there. Any person who says "Oh you can just drive down there" forgets that a lot of the people in Downtown/Midtown/New Center moved there so they would have to use their car LESS. This helps accomplish that goal. Its not ideal, but its something.