Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by brizee View Post
    I wonder what kind of industry would have sprung up if this program hadn't been gutted when Snyder first started.
    The kind that would leave in a heartbeat when another state bribed them with a dollar more. Support of the film incentives is a testament to economic illiteracy.

I'm sure a lot of people will be shot here next year!

Sorry. Really. That was just wide open.

Quote Originally Posted by Det_ard View Post
    The kind that would leave in a heartbeat when another state bribed them with a dollar more. Support of the film incentives is a testament to economic illiteracy.
    agreed. if our tax dollars are to be used to attract an industry, how about one that is actually making a long term investment? manufacturing, bio-med, IT, etc come to mind.

Quote Originally Posted by detmsp View Post
    agreed. if our tax dollars are to be used to attract an industry, how about one that is actually making a long term investment? manufacturing, bio-med, IT, etc come to mind.

I agree it'd be killer to have an industry come into the state that has that sort of commitment, but they're few and far. The days of people going to work for a company 40+ hours a week for 30 years with a fully funded pension are long gone.

I know some people that work in the production field and they are some of the hardest working people I know. They're not the traditional job models of being 9 to 5 but they're steadily employed, pay taxes, spend regularly within their communities, and work their asses off for what I see as pretty decent wages. From what I see- they work hard and get paid for it. They realize that if they slack off or want to kick back, the paycheck doesn't come in.

Now I'm not going to get into union bashing here because that's the low hanging fruit in saying that some of their brethren coast, but I'm much more disgusted with the people that don't want to work hard for a buck- union or non-union alike. Have some ambition people!!! Work hard for not just your paycheck, but your pride and self respect too.

But the one thing I seem to have noticed too when there is some sort of TV or movie production happening around town [[prime example is when they built that ridiculous set for Transformers downtown)- the general population seems to have a good buzz about them. I don't recall hearing people bash these folks here. If anything they're down there snapping shots, posting them on Facebook, and having a measure of pride in the city.

Okay so pride doesn't pay the grocery bills or keep the lights on, but it is a feel good for the city even if it's temporary. And I'm all for commerce happening in this town some how some way.