Belanger Park River Rouge
NFL DRAFT THONGS DOWNTOWN DETROIT »

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Looks like gentrification of the East Side Detroit ghetto hood is in full swing. But comes with a high price.

Quote Originally Posted by Danny View Post
    Looks like gentrification of the East Side Detroit ghetto hood is in full swing. But comes with a high price.
    Because nothing indicates “gentrification” more than a project on vacant land which displaces nobody and has 50% income restricted units, right? A high price indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroiterOnTheWestCoast View Post
    Because nothing indicates “gentrification” more than a project on vacant land which displaces nobody and has 50% income restricted units, right? A high price indeed.
    One or two small structures don't effect very much, but a multi-unit development in a neighborhood that rarely gets any new construction, it typically effects nearby units in rental increase. Residents of THOSE properties become displaced due to increase in rent to reflect the change in the area.

Future residents pay it in living expenses, while the former residents pay the price of moving to another ghetto.

Quote Originally Posted by Sehv313 View Post
    One or two small structures don't effect very much, but a multi-unit development in a neighborhood that rarely gets any new construction, it typically effects nearby units in rental increase. Residents of THOSE properties become displaced due to increase in rent to reflect the change in the area.
    On the other hand, I’m not aware of any city that seems to have done as much as Detroit to ensure that current residents aren’t displaced. Every project of any significant size has new units of affordable housing. In this case over 40; a large number in an area that rarely gets any new construction.

West Village was already relatively pricey compared to other areas, and this building does have almost 50 "affordable" units, but we all know how that is skewed. This area is one that the city is targeting hard, so I would imagine we will see some higher rents and home prices, but the city will also do what they can to manage that.

FWIW, my onetime West Village abode.

Name:  AD39F832-015C-4183-A46B-0C4DE51171C1.jpg
Views: 953
Size:  290.3 KB

That's going to change in a few years.

I predict this development will be a game-changer for this neighborhood. The amount of units, with retail below, will make the area very busy in a good way. It will be much safer too with more people walking the streets. I really don't see much displacement of current residents. Please inform me if property taxes will significantly go up in the area because of this one development.

BTW, there is a new development going up on Kercheval between Townsend and Sheridan. Does anyone know what's going there?

It is another mixed use development. It will be first floor retail with 2 floors of residential above. There were documents on the city's website recently but I cannot find them now.

Yes the new building shouldn't displace people too much. The city put some strong affordability in the building in response to local pressure. The city is making a big push in West Village. WV needs more density and residents to keep the local businesses afloat. I don't think the new retail will be much occupied. The retail on Agnes, Kercheval, Parker, and Van Dyke is sufficient and needs more visitors.

I'm particularly surprised by the push on the Kercheval corridor. The streetscape is looking good, the park plans look fine-nothing special. But they are looking to stretch WV progress all the way to E. Grand.

Quote Originally Posted by DeLemur View Post
    Yes the new building shouldn't displace people too much. The city put some strong affordability in the building in response to local pressure. The city is making a big push in West Village. WV needs more density and residents to keep the local businesses afloat. I don't think the new retail will be much occupied. The retail on Agnes, Kercheval, Parker, and Van Dyke is sufficient and needs more visitors.

I'm particularly surprised by the push on the Kercheval corridor. The streetscape is looking good, the park plans look fine-nothing special. But they are looking to stretch WV progress all the way to E. Grand.
    Pleasantly surprised too. And it's still sort of flying under the radar.

The developers do ask for subsidies for low income senior citizens on the corner of Van Dyke and Kercheval St. But its not going to happen. And it's not going to be for young folks who are in welfare checks and food stamps. Even when it's next to two historic areas. The developers target, folks with jobs and money to blow.
    Last edited by Danny; December-16-20 at 06:12 PM.

The developers do ask for subsidies for low income senior citizens on the corner of Van Dyke and Kercheval St. And it's not going to be for young folks. Even when it's next to two historic areas.

InvestDetroit, which is a partner in this project, just got a significant unrestricted gift from MacKenzie Scott, so that may help keep things affordable for this building.

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/nonpro...ofits-michigan

The developers do ask for subsidies for low income senior citizens on the corner of Van Dyke and Kercheval St. And it's not going to be for young folks. Even when it's next to two historic areas.
    The Parker Durand is absolutely not a senior restricted development. But it is actually 100% income restricted, at several tiers, including a somewhat higher one.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fre...amp/4177771002

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    InvestDetroit, which is a partner in this project, just got a significant unrestricted gift from MacKenzie Scott, so that may help keep things affordable for this building.
    https://www.crainsdetroit.com/nonpro...ofits-michigan
    I’m glad that she siphoned as much as she did from Bezos’ hoard. She’s doing a lot of good things with it.

The idea of pushing development West along Kerchival makes more sense than looking East beyond Indian Village. Islandview has the stronger existing housing stock and small areas of empty land for infill developments compared to East Village which is more sparse.The new road design will be a benefit to those that look to develop that direction, but along Kerchival at least there is not not enough existing stock to make a quick impact.

This means there is a real opportunity to achieve critical mass that will support new and existing commercial tenants along the Kerchival corridor between Grand Blvd and Van Dyke from Vernor down to Jefferson, maybe even as far west as Mount Elliott if we are looking bugger picture.

Quote Originally Posted by DetroitSoldier View Post
    The idea of pushing development West along Kerchival makes more sense than looking East beyond Indian Village. Islandview has the stronger existing housing stock and small areas of empty land for infill developments compared to East Village which is more sparse.The new road design will be a benefit to those that look to develop that direction, but along Kerchival at least there is not not enough existing stock to make a quick impact.

This means there is a real opportunity to achieve critical mass that will support new and existing commercial tenants along the Kerchival corridor between Grand Blvd and Van Dyke from Vernor down to Jefferson, maybe even as far west as Mount Elliott if we are looking bugger picture.
    I totally agree. Concentrating initially on WV to Grand makes the most sense. Should give a boost to Grand Boulevard as well. I know I’ve seen a few nice renovations on the Boulevard in the past couple of years.

It is another mixed use development. It will be first floor retail with 2 floors of residential above. There were documents on the city's website recently but I cannot find them now.
    If someone finds the plan please share it, I noticed that building going up too but haven't seen anything about it.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWylie View Post
    If someone finds the plan please share it, I noticed that building going up too but haven't seen anything about it.
    Found it

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/voices...w-neighborhood

Quote Originally Posted by Seven&wyo View Post
    Ahh I do remember seeing this now, thanks for the find.

Question I have is do you push development east or do you work on services? The infastructure part is really good part of this but needs even more investment. Those bike lanes on Kercheval I hope will be safe and blocked by a barrier from traffic. You don't get people biking in lanes with flimsy bollards next to people driving 45mph. Look at E. Jefferson. Maybe that will be the next step will be services like Police. Development is good, but no one is staying in those apartments with their cars being broken into every month.

Question I have is do you push development east or do you work on services? The infastructure part is really good part of this but needs even more investment. Those bike lanes on Kercheval I hope will be safe and blocked by a barrier from traffic. You don't get people biking in lanes with flimsy bollards next to people driving 45mph. Look at E. Jefferson. Maybe that will be the next step will be services like Police. Development is good, but no one is staying in those apartments with their cars being broken into every month.
    I agree with this. I live off East Warren where the flimsy plastic bollards are often driven over or cars park inside the bike lane itself. I drive Kerchival home from work often and it appears like the bike lane will by physically separated in areas of Indian Village and West Village, but not the entire route.

Those bike lanes on Kercheval I hope will be safe and blocked by a barrier from traffic. You don't get people biking in lanes with flimsy bollards next to people driving 45mph. Look at E. Jefferson. Maybe that will be the next step will be services like Police.
    Bike lanes are pointless when the streets are filled with broken glass. It's basically impossible to bike in most of Detroit without running over sharp trash and broken bottles.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast